Total Truth Radio

Magic

8 Apr 2013

Breaking News - Margaret Thatcher Is Dead




It is 12.50 BST and the BBC Radio 5 has just announced the death of Margaret Thatcher. Before all the tributes start pouring in to the 'Iron Lady' and all that stuff, I want to record the views of someone who opposed Margaret Thatcher throughout her reign of terror and have been a sworn opponent of Thatcherism from the day it was born as a slogan.

I remember the early 1980s very well. I was an undergraduate during the first three years from 1980 until 1983, but not of the kind that mounted challenges to see how many people could fit into a telephone box, for the local TV news silly slot, during rag week japes appreciated only by the middle classes.

No.... I was more the kind of student who had two small children to support and a need to survive on what would now be seen as a gift from Heaven, a student grant. Nevertheless times were tough and by the time I graduated in 1983 they were getting tougher under the Thatcher regime.

I was rewarded for obtaning an honours degree in 1983 with two years of unemployment despite numerous attempts to find work at the height of the structural unemployment that was at the heart of Thatcherism.  I don't therefore simply disapprove of Margaret Thatcher or disagree with her politics (although I do both of those things as well), but between me and her it is highly personal. She and her hangers on and her advisors and allies did me and my family a lot of harm. The desolation of poverty and unemployment drove me to become active and to found an unemployed action group in the midland town where I was then living.

The action group comprised of around 20-30 members (not including the children of members) and in the early to mid 80s we did a lot to resist the worst effects of Thatcherism, the isolation and the maginalisation of the voiceless, jobless, invisible masses The sort of thing the unemployed activists did included:-

Mutual child care arrangements
An Unemployed Action Group Allotment where we grew free food for members.
Mutual credit and small short term loans at no interests between members.
Community education events including day schools and music.
Squatted a derelict school building for 6 months.
Negotiated council accommodation for homeless families
Put on Open Day at the Squat with food, crafts and music
Raised the profile of the Unemployed making the previously invisible, very visible.
Billetted flying pickets (soon to be made illegal) at the Squat during the Miners Strike.
Building a BMX track for local kids
Turned out on the picket lines in the early morning.
Ran a food stall for striking miners familes every Saturday for the entire year of the strike....and a lot of other things too, we were never out of the local newspapers for one reason or another. Hidden we were not.

When I wasn't involved in doing that I was getting a CND bus to RAF Molesworth a US airbase in Cambridgeshire to protest against Cruise Missiles and demand their removal (which eventually happened for geopolitical reasons anyway). The opposition was not simply about domestic issues confronting the US military and British civil police was getting involved in foreign policy and geopolitics. The resistance was on many different fronts.

Then of course there was the Poll Tax, the policy that finally brought Thatcher crashing down...I was very active in the anti-poll tax union and that was one of the main reasons my phone was tapped at that time maybe it still is... who cares, nobody except loan sharks ever call me anyway lol.

I was at the famous Poll Tax demonstration that became a rather spectacular riot in central London on Saturday 31 March 1990. It was the massed ranks of the British people who opposed this unfair tax that finally drove Margaret Thatcher, snivelling into her hankie, out of 10 Downing Street in November 1990, just seven months after Trafalgar Square looked like a medieval battlefield.



We the opposition never stopped attacking Thatcher and the government she had gathered around her. She was the enemy and our detestation could not have been felt more deeply after her attacks on us as individuals and upon our communities and neighbourhoods. Many of those mining communities she decimated have never fully recovered from what Thatcherism has done to them.

To me and to all of my former comrades in the anti-Thatcher alliance, she was the Queen of Greed, the nanny that the public schoolboys in her Cabinet masochistically gave themselves up to be spanked by. All that the Thatcher government's ever stood for we utterly rejected and absolutely despised.
It is not an exageration to say that within my social circles we hated Margaret Thatcher and all she stood for with a burning passion during the 80s and 90s.

So how do I feel today, the day she has died?

Nothing much really, I don't hate her anymore and as that wonderful 17th century Metaphysical poet John Donne once wrote (here in its original form which was not a poem)

 "No man is an iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee...."

So that's how I feel about Mrs Thatcher's death, she had an effect upon my life and it was not a good effect for which I have never really forgiven her and I have no qualms about that, but we move on.

She was a warmonger, a bully and an overbearing presence, but like us all her death was inevitable and I'm prepared to shrug my shoulders and move on, but please don't try to tell me about her virtues, they have never impacted upon me at all, they have never driven anyone I know to desperation in the way her policies often did.

The government we have now is an potentiation of the toxins first distributed on this side of the Atlantic by Margaret Thatcher and it is they that take up all my loathing energy quotient now, no time to worry about old scores with a poor demented woman in her 80s, she's gone and that is it. No tears from me and no eulogy either.

My Thatcherite Years



 

8 comments:

  1. I thought you would have a great deal of good sense to impart about Margaret Thatcher, AA, and indeed you have. My impulse is to remember, as the great congressman and public speaker Daniel Webster said about a political opponent who was gravely ill: "When God puts his hand on a man, I take mine off." But there again , listening to the Baroness' speeches on Public Radio this morning and that "lady's not for turning" my blood came up.

    That Ms. Thatcher was, like her political "husband" Ronald Reagan, an enemy of the working classes, union workers of every stripe and the enlightened is not in question. It was all the more galling that both these people essentially came from the very classes they despised. The American websites and the networks like CNN interviewed some of the old Reagan gang like James Baker, one of Reagan's Chiefs of Staff, Bush family "fixer" and former Secretary of State. He of course praised her for being "The Iron Lady" and all that.


    Thankfully, other viewpoints were expressed from Britain itself via National Public Radio from people like Simon Winchester and other writers and journalists from the Mother Country which offered a more hard -focused view of her borderline social Darwinism and manias against unionist activity and of course the dreaded Poll Tax.

    I didn't realize until today that the mining companies got money funneled to them from J. Paul Getty in the 80's to help bring down the unions. I congratulate you on not only being an activist against such policies but for surviving them at all and maintaining a family.

    Funny how some people remember only the spoon-fed version of a past leader's tenure in office.

    I remember graduating in 1983 from a public university in California. The economy got worse, not better, under Reagan for almost three years after he took office.

    We had double-digit unemployment for the first time since World War II in many parts of the USA in the early 80's. I was there and it was quite a scramble just to get an interview for a job for months. And fees for continuing in school kept going up and up. I have little to complain about but the price of austerity for modern students and returning veterans and such camew from the Reagan -Thatcher Years. This is not something I will forget and I'm sure you're own experiences need no "soft-focus" bulls*** from the barons of the media.

    Thanks for an excellent blog and choice of videos AA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those comments Doug. Thatcherism here, Reaganomics there, Rogernomics in New Zealand/Aotearoa.... all part of the great monetarist experiment

      The damage done by Milton Friedman whose book 'Capitalism and Freedom' is a masterpiece of doublethink and a blueprint for cognitive dissonance was truly global in scale. It dominated Chilean economic policy under Augusto Pinochet where Friedman's theories enjoyed totalitarian endorsement and whjhere the opposition were "disappeared" in great numbers. So Margaret Thatcher was part of a big global family of monsters who used war and torture to get their own way. Thatcher and her overtime flushed police henchmen declared war on the British working class and today her (royal) bastard progeny David Cameron and his gang of Bullington yobbo toffs means that Lord Snooty keeps up the attack incessantly.
      This time the police are as badly off as everyone else who works in the public sector because the Chancellor George Osborne prays facing Chicago (the source of of the contagion) five times a day, so they have abandoned the cause to some extent. They will still respond to bribery of course, so perhaps only temporally nobbled, but this is a big difference betweeen Thatcherism in its prime and the tertiary Con-Dem neoliberalism we have to put up with today.

      Thanks for adding your perpective Doug, the globalisation process means that we have very similar experiences across the Anglosphere. Reagan was a demented old fool and that is how Thatcher ended up too. The sooner she is planted and forgotten the better so far as I'm concerned Doug, it was bad then but its worse now....but we're used to class war, so the fight goes on!

      Delete
  2. Our Rogernomics was of the same ilk as the Thatcherism thing. Our unions too were broken, our government departments privatised. And we too still live with the effects today. I'm singing no sad song for Thatcher, may she and all her mates rot in hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iri, we are all the victims of an unscrupulous 'family' of gangsters, actors and psychopaths we like to call 'the government'....or at least in the UK it is what they like to call themselves, because nobody elected these miscreants they aren't really a government, not in any proper sense anyway. One interesting unintended consequence of neoliberal 'globalism' which gave us all a local version of Thatcherism and now banksterism...is that it also created an international transglobal opposition movement with new forms of revolution to add to the mix. Thatcher's death has polarised this country and recreated the networks of subversion that we tended so carefully during the 80s, but with a much stronger cross border capability.

      So yeah let her and the rest of them rot in Hell, its what they created - Hell - for countless millions all around the world, their pernicious agents are alive and well but pay-back time may be just around the corner.....who knows?

      Delete
  3. Never liked her, guilt by association with Reagan. But it has only been in the last 24-36 hours that I have learned what an evil creature she was. I appreciate your description of the havoc of her policies, the work you did to try to mitigate the damages, and your comment that Thatcher came from the "the classes she despised".

    It was the same with Reagan, even after he early showed his stripes by breaking the air traffic control union, the United Auto Workers and other "Reagan Democrats" supported him, because he tapped into the deep seated racism in the US, convincing people social programs benefitted "welfare queens", i.e. black people, he decimated what was available to poor families, to students, championed greed and selfishness, denigrated having a social conscience, and used the Christian Right as a pit bull to keep feminists and progressives in line.

    And much more. Tramp the dirt down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benni.....the one thing these tin-pot marionettes of international capitalism have in common, is their determination to break solidarity amongst the oppressed and it is the one thing they never have and they never will achieve. Capitalism has failed and the functionaries of the gangsterism that has always been at its very heart now holds the word to ransom is personified by Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, Ronald McDonald, Col Sanders and Micky Mouse.They always go for the weakest, they always create a scapegoat, they are sickeningly greedy, soulless, reptilian and without conscience, we recognise them in every part of the establishment, the media, government and corporations. We are all victims of Zombie Capitalism I think, so the fact that Ronald McDonald, Margaret Thatcher or any other created entity is decomissioned by mortality is a matter of passing interest maybe, but nothing more than that.

      Thanks for adding your perpective.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant, I agree with every word, she was an enemy of the people and a destroyer of communities. Even with a creature as despicable as her the old adage 'don't speak ill of the dead' nags and me but; I have to admit the sudden revival of the famous Wizard of oz song makes me laugh. I think that’s a specifically British reaction to her passing and possibly wouldn't be seen any where else in similar circumstances. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loretta, she has certainly polarised the nation in death as she did in life. I think the Wizard of Oz thing is amusing too, it certainly has hurt Margaret Thatcher's admirers and followers and I like that, they need to be hurt a lot I think. I'm just sitting back and sniggering up my sleeve as pompous neofascists on the radio let out their outrage...not very British that, what ever happened to the stiff upper lip and all that?
      Today's toffs are not like their paters and maters, they now need botox to maintain a stiff upper lip..... no backbone these latter day Thatcherphiles and seriously aging yuppies. I'm glad we've turned Margaret Thatcher's demise into a pantomime in which the BBC is in a terrible flap......It happily spins CIA propaganda on 9/11, North Korea, Afghanistan and all the rest of it until the cows come home and without blinking ....but confronted with a song from the Wizard of Oz poor Auntie gets the vapours.....Ding Dong the BBC's credibility is dead...well actually it has been very unwell since the Beeb announced the collapse of Building 7 in New York City on 11 September 2001, more than twenty minutes before it actually happened.....they'll never live that down will the BBC not until they openly confess... or someone turns off their life support machine (otherwise known as the licence fee)!

      Delete