Total Truth Radio

Magic

19 Oct 2013

English Folk Music Part 1





Just 3 miles (5 kms) or so up the road from where I am typing this post there is a hotel, with a bar and performance area where I have been on several previous occasions to concerts, plays and the like.
 I repeated that habit again yesterday when I went to a well attended performance by those very icons of the second and third English folk revivals, Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick.
The influence of both of these men, who have been making music together now for the last 48 years on the traditional music scene in England and across the world is immeasurable... but immense.
They are the masters of the cotemporary English folk genre, which to some significant degree they have crafted and shaped themselves through the various bands and projects they have been involved with over the years.

When I experience them playing while sat perched on a not very comfortable seat in a makeshift concert hall I thought of all the strands of my life that their music weaves together in one way or another, going  back to my adolescence and that is quite a long way back believe me.
I first became aware of Martin Carthy at the age of 14 when I saved money from my paper rounds (I did two) to buy Freewheelin' Bob Dylan's classic second studio album released in 1963.

LPs as they were then called were expensive commodities in my youth and not easily come by. Freewheelin' was only my second album having already acquired With The Beatles as a matter of indispensable necessity. I consumed that Dylan record when I got it like a prized work of art which despite its mass production and global distribution is exactly what it was to me and to millions of others of course. I avidly read the sleeve notes which described the way Bob Dylan immersed himself in the London folk scene, making contact with the Troubadour folk club organizer Anthea Joseph and folksingers Martin Carthy and Bob Davenport. "I ran into some people in England who really knew those [traditional English] songs," Dylan recalled in 1984. "Martin Carthy, another guy named [Bob] Davenport. Martin Carthy's incredible. I learned a lot of stuff from Martin."

Martin Carthy taught Dylan two English songs that would prove important for the Freewheelin' album. Carthy's arrangement of "Scarborough Fair" would be used by Dylan as the basis of his own composition, "Girl from the North Country". A 19th century ballad commemorating the death of Sir John Franklin in 1847, "Lady Franklin's Lament", gave Dylan the melody for his composition "Bob Dylan's Dream". 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Freewheelin%27_Bob_Dylan#Footnotes

Shortly after playing host and mentor to both Bob Dylan's and Paul Simon's visits to England in the early 1960s, Martin Carthy started his collaboration with Dave Swarbrick (Swarbs) from1965 when they began recording together. Dave Swarbrick grew up in Birmingham. According to his Wikipedia entry he learned to play the basics of violin from a local fiddler and he attended Birmingham College of Art (now absorbed into the Birmingham Institute of Art and Design) in the late 1950s, with the intention of becoming a printer. When I left school I wanted to be a printer too, but I lacked the academic qualifications to gain entry to the printing trade, so I went off to be a dairy farmer (for 6 months) instead. 
But this post isn't about me, it is about two musicians who have made a massive contribution to English and world music over half a century individually as a duo and collectively in a multitude of projects.
There are intersections throughout my life with this music and its performers from my earliest musical awakenings as a young teenager and actually before that at school doing English country dancing and singing Bobby Shaftoe age 7....that folk music theme runs from then right through to the present day.
Before going on to be a foundation member of Fairport Convention in 1969 Dave Swarbs as he likes to be known, played in the Ian Campbell Folk Group (1960-1966), a Birmingham based institution and a band on my own radar since they got to number 42 in the British singles charts in 1965 with a cover of Dylan's Times They Are A-Changin' . I hunted down this music with very limited resources from around the age of 13.
I followed all leads at every opportunity. I saw Bob Dylan himself play in 1966 which was the high point of my dedicated sojourn, a right of passage the first time I was out all alone in the city all night long queueing for tickets outside the Birmingham Odeon, a venue which is still there on New Street.

Much later on I came to know Ian and Lorna Campbell of the band, at Sunday afternoon music and beer sessions after the pubs had closed during lock-ins at the member-only (dead exclusive) Star Club then in Essex Street (later to move to Digbeth before its decline). Those were great times for me in the 80s mobilised around the anti-Thatcher coalition movement first behind the miners and then on the back of the Poll Tax, we never stopped the struggle and  resisted the monetarist and nationalist propaganda on all fronts 24/7.

This was all going on during the social upheavals of the Miners Strike (1984-85) and for several years after it the party raved on a bit while we licked our wounds and regrouped around CND, the anti apatheid movement, Nicaragua solidarity against the Falkland/Malvinas war and US cruise missile bases in eastern England. .

 The Star Club was owned by the Communist Party of Great Britain and it was a great place to go for political meetings, folk music, it was for a while a foremost punk rock venue ... and a veritable hub for revolutionary activity of one sort or another...as well as one of the best left bookshops in the English Midlands and probably the whole country... if not the English speaking world at that time (why hold back?).

This venue became a regular hangout for me during the turbulent 1980s and into the 90s. Gone now sadly, but the building reverberated with the 'people's music' and it is from that background that Dave Swarbs emerged as a virtuoso of the fiddle and a hero of the second folk revival (and now it seems the third).
What follows shortly is some live footage of the concert, a sharing of a musical event for the pleasure of it... a celebration of a musical culture and a reminder of the universal timelessness of music that for every community has its special place close to its heart.
Musical languages speak to each other and while the voices we hear here are English that 'voice' comprises elements from the languages of the Celts and the Norse, the Saxons and the north African and mid European camp followers of the the fallen Roman Empire, Brythonic natives of these islands and the northern European Belgae to name but a few.
It is perhaps fitting that since the English language has become globalised we remember it is a language made up of many borrowed words from languages that originate all around the world as well as the original Anglo Saxon tongue.

Check the link below for a list of borrowed languages that have helped to create modern English

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_English_words_by_country_or_language_of_origin

This is an important thing to realise about English national identity I think, it is intrinsically all inclusive, multicultural, communalistic and mutually tolerant and is resolutely not what the far right portray it as jingoistic, militaristic, white supremacist, this what the fascists want English nationalism to look like. Neo-nazi groups have more or less hijacked most of the symbolism and icons of English nationalism.
England is a land created by immigrants and one of its greatest virtues has been its comparative capacity to absorb incomers it was built on multiculturalism and diversity and to argue otherwise is profoundly un-English  I think. Therein lies the happy truth that you cannot be a reactionary thug in the name of England because that very condition means that you have not yet attained the the right to be considered English youself and it is the fascist scapegoating bullies that always find themselves isolated and shunned by the overwhelming majority of 'ordinary people'. It happened in the 1930s and it is happening again now.
So while the English fascists howl their alien messages in the wilderness the people's music is in alternative hands, safe hands....hands held out in a gesture of solidarity and not as a clenched fist of racial hatred! 

The people's music belongs to everyone irrespective of their sex, sexuality, ablebodiedness, health status, race or cultural identity... it is all equally ours to share and to compare and to admire our shared musical universal heritage.  Its a sharing of musical traditions

 The revelation back in 2010 that British National Party leader Nick Griffin was actively targeting English folk music as a potential vehicle for his party’s nefarious agenda galvanized the folk world into retaliatory action . Those BNP advances have been roundly rebuffed but we have to remain vigilant for the enemy within traditional English roots music, the very un-English snake in the grass with a British nationalist agenda and a nazi axe to grind.


Having said all that then here's the video-
 
Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick The Gaol/ Treadmill Song- Live 18 October 2013 

ENJOY! 





7 comments:

  1. Thanks for this amazing personal and transnational musical journey, AA! This links the major influence that Martin, Swabrick and Davenport had on Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and doubtless other fine musicians heading to England from the USA and Canada.

    It certainly served Dylan well when it came time to release his seminal "Freewheeling" LP in 1963. Thanks for that Wikipedia link as it straightened out a couple of the Dylan legends that have floated around for decades.

    I remember in 19'72-73 using some of my paper route money to buy albums with similar gusto toy yours, like Elton John's early releases such as "Honky Chateau" which were "necessities" in my circle. These were the Big Top 40 hits of that time, along with Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" album of course, plus Billy Preston, Bee Gees stuff, as well as Elvis albums and Karen Carpenter of "The Carpenters" fame who. She was uncool to a lot of my friends but for me had the loveliest voice I thought my ears had ever heard.

    I always found it odd that Elvis never toured England Wales or Scotland , incidentally. He only went to the UK once on his way back from the Army in a transport plane in 1961. I gather he was invited to a Royal Command Performance or two later on but his manager and keeper, "Colonel" Parker, declined the invite. What an opportunity missed in my view!

    Truth be told most of my spare paper route cash wasn't spent on albums, but the cheaper 45 records with one song to a side--I'd hear a song on the radio and hope it was in the local record shop in the mall. Of course, the 45s had an empty doughnut-hole in the middle you needed a plastic circular disc to use on a record player.

    Folkist Don McLean's mega-hit "American Pie" probably wouldn't have been possible without Dylan and not without English folk influences. There is a great legacy as you say that cannot be tarnished by white power freaks here or in the UK. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Doug. It seems we were both underpaid wage slaves and child labourers, perhaps we should apply for politcal asylum in Sweden on precisely those grounds? As former 'paper boys' we were pressed into the service of the corporate media and lured into a life of abject consumerism as a result. I think there could be a folk song in there somewhere Doug...

      Thanks for your own musical memories, I know some of the music you refer to and I was the owner of a cassette tape of "Dark Side of the Moon myself too. I have to confess that I don't really know Karen Carpenter although I was aware of her untimely death. Being mostly out of UK for latter part of the 1970s a lot of things passed me by after the Punk thing happened around '76. Also I suppose by the late 70s I was already a bit of an old geezer by comparison with your more youthful self Doug and as such was less switched on to what was happening in popular music by then I think anyway. I'm still catching up with things from my 'wilderness years' of 1977-1980. 'American Pie' by Don McLean is to me like Ralph McTell's 'Street of London' a timeless anthem which of course you just have to love and I do on both counts. They are the apotheosis of the singer song writer's art and the buskers (plus karaoke singers) patron the world over I think. neither songs would have been possible without the ballad tradition and in particualr broadside ballads.
      The 'newsiness' of the broadsides met with the slightly addled Beat Generation pioneers like Woody Guthrie in Greenwich Village and at Mermaid Avenue, Coney Island, New York where the Guthrie family settled.
      It was at Mermaid Avenue where the story according to Bob Dylan's autobiography "Chronicles" goes that Woody Guthrie had offered all of his unpublished lyrics to Dylan, but when Dylan visited Guthrie's house to obtain them, Guthrie's wife Marjorie was not home. Guthrie's son Arlo told his babysitter to let Dylan in, but Arlo didn't know about the manuscripts and Dylan left empty-handed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mermaid_Avenue

      Interesting that Bob Dylan only tried once to obtain Woody Guthrie's heirloom and them seemingly gave up isn't it?

      That reminds me of a story I heard some years ago that Bob Dylan had tried to visit Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics in London, but apparently went to the wrong house where the resident, a plumber who was also called Dave... was out at the time Dylan visited. Dave the plumber's wife invited Dylan in to wait for Dave to come home. When Dave eventually got home his partner told him "Bob Dylan is waiting to see you in the front room"...or words to that affect. I can imagine Dave's surprise...I think I used to have fantasies about something similar happeneing to me when I was about 13. Both Dave and Bob were equally surprised they say. It was at about that point when Dave entered the room that Bob realised that this was the wrong Dave and he was at the wrong house. What a hoot....I really hope the story is true. What would you say to Bob Dylan if you came home one day and found him with a mug of coffee sitting on your sofa?

      I used to get those doughnut-hole ex-juke box singles too, I remember my copy of 'Good Vibrations' was like that and I still think I have a doughnut version of 'Ruby Tuesday' by Melanie somwhere in my collection of 'stuff'. Thanks for your contribution to this discussion of how our music represents us and the world we inhabit in all sorts of ways.

      Cheers Doug

      Delete
    2. That's a great story about Bob Dylan cooling the heels waiting for the wrong Dave, AA. I hope it did happen just like that.

      I read his book, "Chronicles", as well a while back and I found it an engaging read if a bit too episodic in parts. I hope be does another volume.

      Nowadays Bob Dylan looks (to me at least) a lot like the late movie villain and horror actor Vincent Price. About ten years ago it was almost uncanny if you saw a picture of the two.

      I think my first reaction to "Dylan in the House" would be of befuddlement, then I might frighten him with "So good to see you Mr. Price. I'm glad the rumors of your death were quite unfounded."

      "Oh, it's you Mr. Dylan!... Goodnight Irene! What brings you to this humble abode? Sorry I confused you with that erstwhile 'Master of Cinema Terror'...Can I get freshen your coffee?"


      Seriously, AA, I'd probably not know what to say. I likely would run and get my copy of "Chronicles" for an autograph since I'm sure I'd be the wrong guy he was looking for and Dylan would want his "boot heels to be a' wandering" as soon as possible.

      "Ruby Tuesday" is one of my favorite Rolling Stones tunes. I think most of us have a Ruby Tuesday or two in our past. I had one in particular who fit the lyrics quite well.


      I gather from an interview that one of Dylan's hobbies is to visit the childhood homes of fellow musicians when he is on tour , sometimes to the surprise of the current residents. I know he did this in the case of Neil Young and Alicia Keys.


      I associate "American Pie" with my paper route days because there are those lines in the beginning of the song "But February made me shiver/ With every paper I'd deliver/Bad news on the doorstep/I couldn't take one more step." In McLean's case it was Buddy Holly who died in a plane crash...the only celebrity I remember dying on my watch was singer/guitarist/writer Jim Croce, most famous for "Time In A Bottle" and "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown". Not as great an impact as McLean's loss was, but it was a shock to me none the less as Croce had hit after hit on the US Top 40. I visited the restaurant and bar his wife still runs in San Diego, called ""Croce's", and it has some nice memorabilia of his career.

      Yes, I agree there should be some restitution for humble paper boys such as ourselves, unwitting tools that we were of delivering corporate spin and obfuscation.

      As far as I am concerned, if you were going to have to miss a few years of the 20th Century in the cultural Anglosphere, then the late Seventies and Early Eighties would be the ones I'd pick. You missed almost nothing of note in my view. This might seem harsh but consider the late seventies for a moment and the rise of Reagan and Thatcher and I think you'll agree I have a case.

      Thanks again for this blog, AA. I plan to get over to get to your other recent post tomorrow.

      Delete
    3. I have just lost a rather lengthy reply to you Doug and will now have to come back later when I recover from the grief of it all :-)

      Delete
    4. I've only just noticed that I never did get back on that one Doug. I take your point about the mid 70s to late 70s ...it was the formulaic nature of techno-pop that made the explosion of Punk on both sides of the Atlantic more or less simultaneously the notable event that it was I think.

      Delete
  2. Once again you've connected your youth with current activities. I always enjoy these posts AA. Whatever I've learned about English Folk music, I've learned from you :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much obliged to you for visiting and leaving your comments Scott they are very much appreciated. So then thanks right back at you too Scott, I'm glad we are in touch with each other.

      Delete