I think it was 1971 when I lived in an attic flat opposite the bowling alley with my mate Alfie who was killed by a hit and run driver in 1973. It was a chaotic time, the flat was actually rented by Kaz, the pregnant girlfriend of Roger who was in prsion at the time, I can't remember what for.
When I moved in with Kaz she was only a little bit pregnant and for a short while we were lovers- I suppose that was my Spring With Kaz.... but her health was not great and eventually as the pregnancy progressed she moved back in with her family. Alfie who was homeless at the time then moved into the flat, ostensiblty to help with the rent although we never actually paid any and were eventually evicted. The day we were kicked out the landlord brought the police with him, for protection I suppose, but they weren't very interested and we had no quarrels with the landlord so we collected what we could of our things and dragged them down the street to a friendly house of multiple-occupation about half a mile away. We crashed there before I hitchhiked to Blackpool mostly to beg for food and money and to have adventures of all sorts after a few days of post-eviction navel gazing round the corner.
When I moved in with Kaz she was only a little bit pregnant and for a short while we were lovers- I suppose that was my Spring With Kaz.... but her health was not great and eventually as the pregnancy progressed she moved back in with her family. Alfie who was homeless at the time then moved into the flat, ostensiblty to help with the rent although we never actually paid any and were eventually evicted. The day we were kicked out the landlord brought the police with him, for protection I suppose, but they weren't very interested and we had no quarrels with the landlord so we collected what we could of our things and dragged them down the street to a friendly house of multiple-occupation about half a mile away. We crashed there before I hitchhiked to Blackpool mostly to beg for food and money and to have adventures of all sorts after a few days of post-eviction navel gazing round the corner.
But while I still lived in that attic where that bloody blue neon sign on the bowling alley flashed opposite I read the classic deconstruction of Charles Manson's psychedlic assassins, The Family by Ed Sanders, still on my list of best books ever.
At the same time we listened to the 1967 album McGough and McGear from which the poem Summer With Monika comes and this poem has always been a favourite.
It is by Liverpool poet Roger McGough whose album with Paul McCartney's brother Mike McGear who were two thirds of the novelty/comedy singing group Scaffold and was at that time on the fringes of what was considered hip (the other absent member was John Gorman). The 1960s Liverpool connection and the relationship with The Beatles did nothing at all to harm that hip vibe, although Roger McGough always was homely to my mind. More associated with cups of tea than lysergic acid even during those psychedelic times of the later 1960s.
At the same time we listened to the 1967 album McGough and McGear from which the poem Summer With Monika comes and this poem has always been a favourite.
It is by Liverpool poet Roger McGough whose album with Paul McCartney's brother Mike McGear who were two thirds of the novelty/comedy singing group Scaffold and was at that time on the fringes of what was considered hip (the other absent member was John Gorman). The 1960s Liverpool connection and the relationship with The Beatles did nothing at all to harm that hip vibe, although Roger McGough always was homely to my mind. More associated with cups of tea than lysergic acid even during those psychedelic times of the later 1960s.
This poem always reminds me of that attic and Kaz who made the transition from Roger's girlfriend to my live-in lover within about an hour of me arriving there, homeless and invited to stay for just one night. A stray cat.
Now in retrospect the characters of the fictional Monika and the real-life Kaz sort of get morphed in my mind when I think back to the Spring of '71..... the poem, the attic and the blue neon light.
Kaz had a boy baby that autumn and she married Roger upon his release from penal servitude, so it all ended happily ever after (or otherwise) as history unfolded. I don't know we lost touch.
I went down to the south coast to work as a dining hall porter at Butlin's Holiday Camp in Bognor Regis for the remainder of the summer, which was where I became the proud tenant of a staff chalet and for about 3 months an attendee at a non-stop party. Not so much a job as an orgy with chores attached.
This unabated hedonism was only punctuated by working shifts and becoming the fastest mopper of the most cavernous dining hall in the history of skivvying.
I earned the nickname Bomber because of my outstanding prowess in sweeping and mopping, but that's another story altogether, one about how I became the very model of a modern dining hall porter and a mopper extraordinaire.
So then, here is the recording of Roger McGough reading his poem Summer With Monika that I had on my vinyl LP all those many years ago. I hope you like it too.
Since the 70s Roger McGough has become probably the best known living poet in Britain, certainly outside literary circles anyway, although that title may be challengeable he has certainly achieved much for his art.
Roger is the host of BBC Radio 4 programme Poetry Please which is always worth listening to if you can hear it (I'm toldthat radio on the BBC website is available outside of the UK, whereas television isn't).
Poetry Please website
According to our old friend Wikipedia:-
McGough won a Cholmondeley Award in 1998, and was awarded the CBE in June 2004. He holds an honorary MA from Nene College of Further Education; was awarded an honorary degree from Roehampton University in 2006; as well as an honorary doctorate from the University of Liverpool on 3 July 2006.
He was Fellow of Poetry at Loughborough University (1973-5) and Honorary Professor at Thames Valley University (1993).
This poem I now know refers to the film of the same name by Ingmar Bergman and here we have an interesting coincidence, because although I'd never seen or even heard of the film when I was listening to McGough's poem with Kaz in the attic, so I didn't know that the film is about a young working class woman who gets pregnant and lives a wild lifestyle that scandalises the moralists. I think we did a bit of that.
Wikipedia again, but this time on the film:-
Summer with Monika (Swedish: Sommaren med Monika) is a 1953 Swedish film directed by Ingmar Bergman. It sparked controversy abroad for its frank depiction of nudity, and along with the film One Summer of Happiness from the year before, directed by Arne Mattsson, it started the reputation of Sweden as a sexually liberated place.
If only we knew that we were doing Summer With Monika in reverse, Kas was already pregnant when I moved in and she fled to the security of family and marriage which was perhaps what Bergman's Monika did initially at least too. But the film the poem and the attic all seem to have threads that bind them together whilst the blue flashing neon of the bowling alley foretold the arrival of the blue flashing lights of the police that day Alfie and me got our marching orders from that former refuge and now deserted love nest in the blue neon attic.
The first small step on the road to becoming a Super Drudge down on the English Channel shore just a few short weeks later and the rest dear friends is history as they say.
It was interesting to learn a bit more about you in your younger years. Maybe you can continue to do this till finally you arrive in the year 2012, kind of like the Memoirs of AaranAardvark. I know you have led a most interesting life and would love to hear more.
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading this stuff and leaving your comment Ms C....most of my past is unpublishable, I'd have to plead the 5th Amendment....except we don't even have a written Constitution let alone any amendments, but I won't let that get in the way.
DeleteHmmph, nothing is unpublishable AA! Sometimes you just have to disquise the truth with a little creativity :-) And of course I am reading your stuff, I like your stuff. I even read the political stuff which I hate just because it makes me very mad, but I learn a lot from reading your viewpoint on things. I just don't comment because for the most part it is a rule I follow . :-)
Deletexoxox
Oh and I don't mean that your opinion makes me mad, just that anything "political" or "war" makes me mad
Deletelol I'm not sure I'd claim that NOTHING is unpublishable, but I do take your point that there is a publishable version of most things. I'm glad my opinion doesn't make you mad Ms C, there's already plenty of madness to go around anyway. I suppose in some ways I am my politics because I think everything that involves more than one person is political with either a big or a little 'p'.
DeleteThanks for commenting Ms C and thanks for saying the nice thibngs that you did.
xoxox
Tsk Typo!
DeleteThat's a great blog Aaran. And thanks for the poetry reading :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for leaving your comment, I'm glad you like the poem :-)
Delete"Not so much a job as an orgy with chores attached"
ReplyDeleteHaha.. what are a few chores in the grand scheme of things eh?
Thanks for yet another journey into your youth AA. I enjoyed this very humorous poem with my morning coffee...although I think I'll pass on the idea of having milk with my breakfast.
LOL sorry if it put you off the milk Scott thanks for visiting and leaving your comments, much appreciated.
DeleteAnother great blog, AA. You've had quite a few adventures in your youth, and it appears such events have helped make you well able to help others in need, and still get those pesky "chores" done. :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm having trouble leaving you messages on your site for some reason. I'm trying another computer. Hope this works. Is anybody else having problems?
I'm experiencing no problems at the moment.
DeleteThanks Doug. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems leaving me messages. Obviously this one worked alright so I hope the issues are now resolved. Thanks again for your comments Doug
DeleteScott - thanks for the feedback.
ReplyDeleteSorry about your friend Alfie. I lost a friend on my baseball team in high school. I always wonder what would have become of my friend Nolan had he lived to be an adult. Any life interrupted is a tragedy.
ReplyDeleteI've read couple books on the Manson case back in the 70s and 80s (one was "Helter Skelter" by the District Attorney who prosecuted some of them) but it sounds like the Ed Sanders book sounds like something that comes highly recommended.. I hope to find a copy.
Ed Sanders masterpiece is still in print Doug, I understand that it has been updated since I read it when it first was published in the UK in 1971. Perhaps I should re-read it, but I presently have a queue of books awaiting my attention, so I'd better see to those first, before re-reading books from the past.
DeleteI never read "Helter Skelter" but I've always felt that Sanders as an insider of the hippie movement and psychedelic guru himself, provides insights into The Family and the minds of Charlie and the rest of the gang.
I am inspired to think about writing a blog on Manson and the Fall of the Love Generation... which was more complex than the events that took place in California in 1969, but Manson has become the figurehead of the Fall and a symbol of the madness that grew out of the Summer of Love. I have been thinking about that for more than 40 years so I suppose writing about it is probably now timely
Cheers Doug, Alfie was one of many I'm afraid, by the time I reached my 30s there were hardly any survivors from my teenage circle of friends left.
DeleteI used to say that it was like living through a war, almost all my closest friends after leaving school never made it past 35 years old.
Road traffic accidents, murder, drug overdoses, fires, suicide and diseases cut like a swathe through the class of '67...or whatever we should call them.
As a matter of fact this process has never really ended, for instance on Monday of this week my neighbour hanged herself in her kitchen, she was in her early 40s with a husband and a son aged 14. There were no clues that she would do that, it left us all in the neighbourhood in a state of shock, disbelief and sadness.
This is the reality of Austerity Britain that Cameron, Clegg and Osborne talk so glibly about.
Figures for the (English) West Midlands showed that suicide rates had increased by 24 per cent, since 2007, when the number of recorded deaths were 245. In 2010, figures peaked at 450.
Read More http://www.birminghampost.net/news/west-midlands-health-news/2012/09/10/funding-pledge-for-research-into-rising-suicide-rate-65233-31802729/#ixzz26Wp0iwwz
This is what the bankers and politicians are doing to our society, but my old friends died in different circumstances during the 1970s of course. Some might have been saved, but most probably were beyond help.
Thanks for your comments Doug and your reference to your own experience of tragedy as a young person.
We all skate on thin ice, but the government and bankers have now made things very much worse in order to further enrich themselves and feed their boundless drooling greed.
What a terrible toll on a a relatively small number of friends. I'm sorry, AA. It does sound like a toll from war.
ReplyDeleteThe other thing I can compare indirectly is a friend of mine (Vic) who grew up in the inner -city of Youngstown , Ohio. It's one of the toughest cities in North America where the loss of jobs in the auto and tire industry led to a "hell" (Vic's words) where one either got out through college or the military or faced a life where "the streets" ruled everything. Such is the price we pay for the gun and drug subculture here.
I read the Post article. It's good to see people trying to get ahead of this terrible situation but as you say it's not helped by all the cuts and the general sense of people being pushed off the lifeboats by an austerity society where our leaders take care of those who already have the largest boats first.
Thanks for your comments Doug. I take these losses as being about 'life'itself and the transience of it all, a crazy kaleidoscopic pantomime of thoughts and sensations....Life a disease with a 100 per cent mortality rate Doug.....thank goodness for fun I say!
ReplyDeleteWell put, AA.
DeleteOr should I say "Bomber". ;-)
ReplyDeleteWell yes ... I haven't been called that for 40 odd years Doug, but there never were any bombs inbvolved I hasten to say, just remakably clean dining halls. Prisine they were Doug with no word of a lie :-)
DeleteYes, I can see where that could be misconstrued.
DeleteI was a young lad on a a warehouse assembly crew where I earned the nick name "Dangerous". Really undeserved I assure you. We were putting up shelving and a fellow put his foot on a part of a second tier of stock space I hadn't quite put a shelf down on yet. Really not my fault (in my view) but the name "Dangerous Doug" stuck for months!
"Dangerous" is one of the best epithets there ever was Doug. Congratulations on gaining a title that would strike fear into the heart of all that heard it, how satisfying that must be.
ReplyDeleteI find people with sprained ankles are quite often liable to make rash allegations Doug. I wouldn't spare it another thought if I were you its obvious where the blame lies, he shouldn't have been climbing up the shelving anyway I don't suppose. Reckless fellow deserved all he got in my opinion Doug.
'Reckless" is the key word to describe this fellow indeed, AA. Trying to impress the boss with quick results was his literal downfall.
ReplyDelete"Always look where you're going and only drink gin modestly on workdays," as my great Uncle Moab used to say on Visiting Days.
Doug said "Always look where you're going and only drink gin modestly on workdays," as my great Uncle Moab used to say on Visiting Days"
ReplyDeleteRole models like Great Uncle Moab don't go on trees Doug...although they are sometimes hung on them I'm told :-(