Where is this and how come it looks like it is under water in the video? It was kind of scary to me haha.........you know I am weird, but the sounds inside made me feel like I was hearing monsters !
Still, you are so fortunate to live where you can visit such places, old and beautiful architecture.
Thanks for sharing. I have always liked the AA videos :-)
It is Gloucester Cathedral about 45 miles south of here. I didn't mean to scare you Ms C - what you are seeing is a installation by artist in residence David Behar Perahia in the medieval Lavatorium cloister where monks used to undertalke their daily ablutions. It was part of a much bigger festival of arts (you may have noticed the skeletal fish that was also an exhibit). The photograph above that isn't the sea shore is one I took in the crypt the oldest part of the cathedral that dates back to 1072, those arches are just short of 1,000 years old. The big eared demonic looking creature you see represented was also an exhibit (not a permanent resident).
The video is a representation of the exhibition and the soundtrack was the extraneous noises in the cloister, perhaps some of that was been made by monsters? I didn't notice them because I was too busy with my little hand held Sony Bloggie which is what I have captured almost all my moving images on over the past couple of years, its no bigger than a pack of cigarettes and therefore easy to carry around for a bit of hand held history harvesting. So I hope that reassures you Ms C :-)
Hi Aaron, those noises are rather strange, but it sounds like visitors and children. Its a very odd instillation but I bet its impressive when you are actually there. Is it film of water projected onto the floor and walls..........it looks like a film of water shown over the old flagstones.
Hiya Loretta, as you rightly say the noises are the visitors. The installation was light effects of water in the Lavatorium cloister where the monks washed, the effects recall the original use for the space where the public now roam and where small children's voices echo to their delight.
Amazing to think of a building that has parts which are 950 years old!
Were it not for the children's voices and the daylight in parts of the video the display of aquatic light on those old stones would be absolutely spooky indeed. It seems appropriate to the setting somehow, not in any sense commercial I mean. Good work with the Bloggie as usual, AA.
Thanks Doug, yes, where do you get builders like that today? Can't imagine my builder saying "here's your millennium warranty, any problems sir, I'll get my vassals to sort it out for you, no sweat bro." That's what I call 'service' Doug...the discerning consumer should opt for nothing less I believe ...glad you liked the hand held images anyway Doug :-)
Yes, a quality guild-trained cathedral building swing gang is hard to find these days, AA. And sure as houses by the time they get the Romanesque cloister together, everything has gone Early French Gothic in the rest of the neighborhood!
Fickle medieval church styles---makes one just want to put up something in drywall and wood and be done with it.
Yes Doug and woe betide you if you complain. What cathedral builders there are all turn out to be Freemasons and having dinner with the chief of police.
Best say nothing and put up with the Perpendicular Gothic even when Neoclassical Palladian is what we would have had in a better and fairer world alas.
Where is this and how come it looks like it is under water in the video? It was kind of scary to me haha.........you know I am weird, but the sounds inside made me feel like I was hearing monsters !
ReplyDeleteStill, you are so fortunate to live where you can visit such places, old and beautiful architecture.
Thanks for sharing. I have always liked the AA videos :-)
It is Gloucester Cathedral about 45 miles south of here. I didn't mean to scare you Ms C - what you are seeing is a installation by artist in residence David Behar Perahia in the medieval Lavatorium cloister where monks used to undertalke their daily ablutions. It was part of a much bigger festival of arts (you may have noticed the skeletal fish that was also an exhibit). The photograph above that isn't the sea shore is one I took in the crypt the oldest part of the cathedral that dates back to 1072, those arches are just short of 1,000 years old. The big eared demonic looking creature you see represented was also an exhibit (not a permanent resident).
ReplyDeleteThe video is a representation of the exhibition and the soundtrack was the extraneous noises in the cloister, perhaps some of that was been made by monsters?
I didn't notice them because I was too busy with my little hand held Sony Bloggie which is what I have captured almost all my moving images on over the past couple of years, its no bigger than a pack of cigarettes and therefore easy to carry around for a bit of hand held history harvesting. So I hope that reassures you Ms C :-)
Thank you for the explanation. That always helps. And yes, monsters or "something" made those noises. *smiles*
ReplyDeleteIt's spooky, and I like it :)
ReplyDeleteThere is no shortage of spooks in Gloucester Cathedral She, I'm glad you liked it even if it gives you the willies hehehe :-)
DeleteHi Aaron, those noises are rather strange, but it sounds like visitors and children. Its a very odd instillation but I bet its impressive when you are actually there. Is it film of water projected onto the floor and walls..........it looks like a film of water shown over the old flagstones.
ReplyDeleteHiya Loretta, as you rightly say the noises are the visitors. The installation was light effects of water in the Lavatorium cloister where the monks washed, the effects recall the original use for the space where the public now roam and where small children's voices echo to their delight.
DeleteAmazing to think of a building that has parts which are 950 years old!
ReplyDeleteWere it not for the children's voices and the daylight in parts of the video the display of aquatic light on those old stones would be absolutely spooky indeed. It seems appropriate to the setting somehow, not in any sense commercial I mean. Good work with the Bloggie as usual, AA.
Thanks Doug, yes, where do you get builders like that today? Can't imagine my builder saying "here's your millennium warranty, any problems sir, I'll get my vassals to sort it out for you, no sweat bro." That's what I call 'service' Doug...the discerning consumer should opt for nothing less I believe ...glad you liked the hand held images anyway Doug :-)
ReplyDeleteYes, a quality guild-trained cathedral building swing gang is hard to find these days, AA. And sure as houses by the time they get the Romanesque cloister together, everything has gone Early French Gothic in the rest of the neighborhood!
DeleteFickle medieval church styles---makes one just want to put up something in drywall and wood and be done with it.
Yes Doug and woe betide you if you complain. What cathedral builders there are all turn out to be Freemasons and having dinner with the chief of police.
DeleteBest say nothing and put up with the Perpendicular Gothic even when Neoclassical Palladian is what we would have had in a better and fairer world alas.