Total Truth Radio

Magic

5 Sept 2012

The Love Generation of the Sixties - That is the 1160s Actually


Celebrating Beatriz de Dia and the Trobairitz who were the Pussy Riot of the high Medieaval period of the European Middle Ages. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Middle_Ages

Beatritz or Beatriz de Dia (born c. 1140 - flourished circa 1175 in Provence) was the most famous of a small group of trobairitz, or female troubadours who wrote courtly songs of love during the twelfth and thirteenth centuries.

Typical subject matter used by Comtessa de Dia in her lyrics includes her sense of optimism, her self appreciation as a woman and as a lover, as well as the theme of betrayal.

In one chantar, Comtessa plays the part of a betrayed lover, who retaliates in praise of herself.

In Fin Joi (see second video) however, Comtessa makes fun of the lausengier, a person known for gossiping, comparing those who gossip to a "cloud that obscures the sun."

The Countess of Dia composed songs in the Occitan language of the Languedoc region in southeast France that were passionate and incisive commentaries on contemporary society in the Middle Ages.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languedoc
  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occitan_language

The songs of courtly love that the troubadours composed and performed changed the status of wealthy women from mere possessions to the very meaning of life and love itself, so who were the Troubadours and what became of them?


Wikipedia says:-A troubadour originally [tɾuβaˈðoɾ]) was a composer and performer of Occitan lyric poetry during the High Middle Ages (1100–1350). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubadour

The troubadour school or tradition began in the eleventh century in Occitania, but it subsequently spread into Italy, Spain and even Greece. Under the influence of the troubadours, related movements sprang up throughout Europe: the Minnesang in Germany, trovadorismo in Galicia and Portugal and that of the trouvères in northern France.

Dante Alighieri in his De vulgari eloquentia defined the troubadour lyric as fictio rethorica musicaque poita: rhetorical, musical, and poetical fiction.

Here we seem to have the rock 'n' roll stars of the Middle Ages whose 'good vibrations' caught on all across western Europe as the genre spread.

Whilst the courtly love they serenaded is not exactly equivalent to the Free Love of the 1960s, it nevertheless was a liberation that was not only for men.

There were also the Trobairitz...the female troubadours in the 12th century who responded to this changed perception of women with a form of proto feminism.

As gender historian of the Middle Ages William D. Paden has noted, "Our most direct access to the experience of medieval women lies in their own writing " and the trobairitz offer some of this insight.

The trobairitz epitomize these sorts of women, and the fact that we have any written work from them at all, shows that they must have had some kind of freedom and status to be able to offer up their voices and reveal their artistic creativity.

The trobairitz wrote their works in a variety of forms, but they all tend to have one central theme, much like their male counter parts.
Almost all of the poetry derived from the trobairitz centre around the theme of "fin'amor" or the idea of a pure or perfect love.
Their poems, like many in the middle ages, celebrate a form of ideal romance, or what has come to be known as "courtly love."

The term "courtly love" was first popularized by Gaston Paris in 1883, and has since come under a wide variety of definitions and uses, even being dismissed as nineteenth-century romantic fiction. Its interpretation, origins and influences continue to be a matter of critical debate.

Courtly love was both erotic and spiritual, illicit and morally elevating at the same time, some even have accused the Troubadours of devising a guide book to adultery with their adoring canon of courtly love.

The idolisation of women expressed in the songs of the Troubadours is largely influenced by cults worshipping the Virgin Mary but these are said to pre-date Christianity and seem to be linked to pagan Goddess rituals.

There is an unresolved debate about the true origins of the Troubadours one can distinguish at least eleven competing theories according to Wikipedia. Some experts argue it had Arab roots originating in Spain, others say Celtic or Pictic origins and yet others see it's embryo in Classical Latin or feudal folk lore.

Wherever it came from it had an impact on the powerful social classes of the day and apparently altered their morality and relations with the opposite sex.

The parallels between youth cultures that began in the 1960s and the medieval troubadour movement illustrate the power of music and art to shape attitudes and influence cultures.

The female expression of that cultural revolution the Trobairitz illustrates the freedom of thought that would eventually give rise to protestantism and serves to confound some of our stereotypes of gender relations in the Middle Ages.

As historian Liz Hale concludes:-

The trobairitz compose of a very interesting subset of women in the Middle Ages.

They wrote incredibly beautiful and explicit prose with, what can be thought of, as a somewhat progressive style.
These women exemplify some of the few women of status and power of the age, and much of their prose combat the stereotypical notion of the submissive and obedient woman of the day.

Their writing suggests a class of women who were not afraid to tell of their own opinions and emotions, and who formed their own mini-movement by throwing their voices out into the oppressive society of the day.

So what happened to this courtly love and the roaming troubadours that gave Christendom it's first wave of hit love songs and the idealised trobiaritz feminist poet songsters?

How did patriarchy regain the upper hand after the troubadours message came to an abrupt end in the mid fourteenth century?

The reason is simple....The Black Death that had peaked in Europe between 1347 and 1351.

Figures for the death toll vary widely by area and from source to source as new research and discoveries come to light.
It killed an estimated 75–200 million people in the 14th century. In Britain almost half the population was wiped out.

This event really changed everything and ushered in the birth of modernity.

The troubadours, the trobairitz have have left their mark on modern society, but that path of progress was curtailed by the plague, which cut through human history like a great chasm that separates the Middle Ages from modern times.

Beatritz or Beatriz de Dia (born c. 1140 - flourished circa 1175, Provence) was the most famous of a small group of trobairitz, or female troubadours who wrote courtly songs of love during the twelfth and thirteenth centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trobairitz


Typical subject matter used by Comtessa de Dia in her lyrics includes optimism, self appreciation, as well as betrayal.
In a chantar, Comtessa plays the part of a betrayed lover, who retaliates in praise of herself. In Fin Joi however, Comtessa makes fun of the lausengier, a person known for gossipping, comparing those who gossip to a "cloud that obscures the sun."

Countess of Dia composed songs in the langue d'oc language that were passionate and incisive.
The songs of courtly love that the troubadours composed and performed changed the status of wealthy women from mere possessions to the very meaning of life and love itself, but who were the Troubadours and what became of them?

Wikipedia says:-A troubadour originally [tɾuβaˈðoɾ]) was a composer and performer of Occitan lyric poetry during the High Middle Ages (1100–1350).

The troubadour school or tradition began in the eleventh century in Occitania, but it subsequently spread into Italy, Spain and even Greece. Under the influence of the troubadours, related movements sprang up throughout Europe: the Minnesang in Germany, trovadorismo in Galicia and Portugal and that of the trouvères in northern France.

Dante Alighieri in his De vulgari eloquentia defined the troubadour lyric as "fictio rethorica musicaque poita": i.e. rhetorical, musical, and poetical fiction.

Here we have the rock 'n' roll stars of the Middle Ages whose 'good vibrations' caught on all across western Europe as the genre spread.

Whilst the courtly love they serenaded is not exactly equivalent to the Free Love of the 1960s, it nevertheless was a liberation that was not only for men.

There were also the Trobairitz...the female troubadours in the 12th century who responded to this changed perception of women with a form of proto feminism.

Liz Halt has written about the trobairitz.

"They lived during the heart of the Middle Ages, and in a sense they contradict the often-depicted image of the meek and sub-status women of the times....."

The female expression of that cultural revolution the Trobairitz illustrates the freedom of thought that would eventually give rise to protestantism and serves to confound some of our stereotypes of gender relations in the Middle Ages.

Here is what a trobairitz probably sounded like according to a contemporary interpretation recorded in Languedoc, France.... the home of the fabled troubadour tradition and the proto-feminist movement that emerged out of it.


 

The language is Occitan, the original language of Languedoc and one that is making a comeback today in that region of modern France.

Song translation:

"End joi" makes me happy,
and that is why I sing cheerfully.
And slanderers say that does not hurt me,
instead I'm 2 times happy.
They are like clouds that obscure the sun ..."


The fiddle is built according to the archaeo-musicological sources known at the time of the troubadours, to find these old sounds and reproduce them.


10 comments:

  1. This was originally a post I had on Multiply which I was going to archive here until I discovered the old links and video were not working. So I decided to do a partial rewrite and post it here as a new blog. Bad idea, the editing has been a nightmare, I've just gone over the post again and hopefully have removed duplicated bits and other editing glitches. If anyone notices any I missed, I'd be grateful if you would point them out. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see this post first time round on Multiply so glad you posted it here, and so far I've not found any 'errors'. I'm still reading my way through it and, well you know I like all things history related so I think its a great post,reminds me of an assignment had to do once of the authenticity of creating music as it was originally performed.....yeah it was a philosophy thing.
    Anyway.............I seem to remember you saying you would like a guest book here, I knew I'd seen one here somewhere and now I remember. Mitch has found a way to do it but I'm not actually sure how, I think he uses 'pages' to create one. He wouldn't mind telling you if you really want one.
    http://mitchylr.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and leaving your comments Loretta, they are much appreciated.
      Your assignment on the authenticity of historical music in contemporary performances (if I got that right) sounds fascinating, I would be interested to know your conclusions.

      Thanks for the tips on having a Guestbook, I followed the link to Mitch's page and from there to another poster who gave instructions as to how to achieve that. I have had a partial success in that I now have a guestbook on my Home page so thanks for that. I still haven't worked out how Mitch got his to be part of the contents bar at the top of the page, but it was late when I was messing around with all that, so I will look again today....thanks again for pointing the way :-)

      Delete
  3. I think the guy who actually worked out how to do the guest book was Bas, this is his site
    http://oceankinguk2003.blogspot.co.uk/
    I'm sure he can tell you how to finish it off. I would like a guest book and maybe I'll get round to it one day.

    I did that assignment ages ago but basically, the potted version of theory goes that; Given that we have enough evidence to reproduce accurately the instruments and reclaim the original musical score, we can reproduce (in one sense) a fairly accurate copy of an original musical performance. However, much of what we hear/experience at any performance is greatly influenced by A), our personal experiences and previous per-conceptions/ knowledge of the music, and B)the historical social norms of both the audience and performer of the time. ( eg, 18th century man is not of the same mindset as 21 century man and same music would have different impact/ different experience for both)Therefore; even if the 'music' were note perfect, played on an identical replica instrument the actual experience could never be re-created because the 21st Century audience and performer are, ( in every sense) an entirely different audience and performer to the original audience and performer. In order to exactly replicate an original performance the experience of both the audience and performer at the original and the replica would also need to be identical, and that's impossible. Much of the what a performance actually 'is' consists of the emotive reaction of the audience and the relationship between the audience and the performer, and not of the precise notes that are played. The single piece of music chosen for this experiment may not have been heard before by the 21 century audience or the performers but, something of a similar nature and style may have been heard. The experience of the original performance, where the music may have been entirely new in every sense, would be an entirely new experience for every one. .... Blah Blah Blah etc etc etc...........sure you get the gist by now
    However..........really interesting blog Aaron, made me think of things I've not remembered in a long time, so thank you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a very interesting assignment Loretta. I can see how what a performance 'is' consists of the emotive reaction of the audience and the relationship between the audience and the performer'.

      I can see how a cultural event embodies all sorts of social relations and emotional reactions that would would be different today to let us say the 18th century.

      Where I would want to ask some questions though would be about whether we can ever say, of any sound accepted by at least some significant body of opinion to be 'music' - that it is "entirely new in every sense" and yet still be considered to be 'music'?

      Its an interesting thought I think, because it asks what is music anyway?


      One other question I would want to raise as well is how do we know that 21st century audiences react in any one way to any one performance?

      To put it another way, assuming that 21st century performers and audiences are different to 18th century ones, how do we know for example that two audiences in either the 18th or the 21st centuries bear any relationship to each other at all....were they ever playing and hearing the same thing and do they now?

      Its a great topic Loretta thanks for outlining the assignment that sent me off in all these different directions.

      Thats what I like best about blogging and social networks all these points of connection.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There certainly is a lot of material here to peruse, AA,and a lot of it is new to me because I had not encountered female troubadours before. I gathered from reading years ago that The Crusades was the start of the "courtly love" movement as many women were left behind and social conventions were in a sate of flux.

    So I suppose it is appropriate that it took another event more terrible event the Black Death, to put an end to this amazing musical liberation.

    Great blog AA. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. It is interesting I think that out of the Black Death we see the emergence of modernity in Europe, the centralisation of the nation state.

      In England the first social policies emerge as a result of the plague in Edward III's Ordinance of Labourers (1349), the Statute of Labourers (1351) and the Satute of Cambridge (1388). These were proto welfare state institutions that responded to the Black Death labour crisis with employment policies, prices and incomes policies and new Poor Laws that were not only unprecedented interventions by central government in 'civil society' at that time, but also the foundation stones of the istitutions that were to culminate in British welfare state in 1948.

      We are at the end of that state-building process now in the current era I think Doug....thanks again for your comments. I am sure you are right about the Crusades and the troubadours emergence, the effects of the foreign wars upon the social mores of the population at home would be a very interesting topic of medieval social history I think.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the Hundred Years' Wars and the Peasant's Revolt under Richard II would all have to be factored into the situation between have and have-nots.

      One of the most interesting things about English history is how even revolutionaries often return to the concept of statutes and ordinances from the past to rally supporters. I'm thinking of Cromwell and other movements of his time particularly.

      Delete
  6. Yes but of course they usually wanted the support of the monarch, that was true of Wat Tyler and the Peasants Revolt and various other uprisings. The earlier English revolutionaries were true to God and quite often true to the crown. Although obviously the latter point was not true of the Civil War and the Commonwelth period, this is a society that for centuries lived by written rules, from Magna Carta in 1215 through to the present day there is a stautory framework that only latter-day (post 19th century) rebels seek to overthrow I think.
    Althouth amongst the intelligentsia at the same time as this state building was taking place its anarchic antithesis was emerging in such proto-protestant movements as John Wycliffe's Lollards who undermined the Catholic status quo in England, during the mid-14th century. The relationship between all these factors makes the 14th century a pretty dangerous time to have been born, but a truly fascinating time in English and European history....at various points throughout the Hundred Years War... Scotland and Wales were on the opposite side to England. Although in combination with the plague the war was a great scourge interestingly it also saw the origins of the English anti-war movement too.

    ReplyDelete