As previous visitors to my posts will know railways are in my blood. My paternal granfather lived and died a railwayman before I was born. He was a engine driver on the London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) which formed in 1923 and was the biggest of the Big Four British railway companies which were amalgamated and were nationalised on 1 January 1948 to become state owned British Railways.
My grandfather like many other young men of his generation emigrated from rural Wales to work on the railways in big cities like Birmingham which is at the hub of the rail network. He was killed by the night mail as he stepped back to speak to his fireman while their loco took on water. He survived three days without an arm and both legs the family were devastated, my mother never really got over it, she carried the newspaper cutting about her father's accident in her purse until the day she died and nobody knew that. My father worked all his life in the locomotive and railway rolling stock construction industry. As a child I would occasionally be taken to the factory to see big diesels being built for export to Africa, South America and the Far East, it was another world, the affluent society the end of empire, the post-war growth bubble and good old Marshall Aid protecting us all from Communism, so everything in the garden was rosy... or so it seemed.
This video commemorates a lost world, the world of my childhood when steam trains were still in service and they would chuff chuff past the end of my garden which backed onto a branch line mostly carrying frieght, but in the Summer some passenger trains Sunday Specials going to the seaside would go past the end of my garden, I ran to the fence to watch those lucky travellers who were bound for the joys of the North Wales coast, or perhaps to Blackpool the capital of Fun.
Their destinations were strange and exotic places to me aged 5....far off places by the sea with funfairs and candy floss and toffee apples, castles and donkeys on the beach.......those trains hauled by amazing engines belching smoke and fire in a cutting I looked down upon from the banks and which in the winter, when there was a covering of snow on the ground, I imagined to be a range of distant mountains and valleys of far off lands of my imagining where fantasies would be played out and bears may well be lurking.. It was a world of pure magic to me then and that enchantment hasn't been completely worn away by the many years that have since elapsed.
Their destinations were strange and exotic places to me aged 5....far off places by the sea with funfairs and candy floss and toffee apples, castles and donkeys on the beach.......those trains hauled by amazing engines belching smoke and fire in a cutting I looked down upon from the banks and which in the winter, when there was a covering of snow on the ground, I imagined to be a range of distant mountains and valleys of far off lands of my imagining where fantasies would be played out and bears may well be lurking.. It was a world of pure magic to me then and that enchantment hasn't been completely worn away by the many years that have since elapsed.
I worked for a short while in train building business myself, but it wasn't for me - so I became a British Rail guard working freight trains all over the Midlands and sometimes beyond.
I would sit at the back of the train applying the hand brake iron wheel (like a sort of anchor you might say), screwing the brake so hard the steel wheels beneath me would look like Catherine Wheels issuing sparks and smoke as thousands of tons slithered down, iron ore and coal trains descending the treacherous Lickey Bank - the steepest incline on the national rail system.
Later I trained to be a signalman and I had my own signal box, playing trains for real for a while before my life took a different direction and I left the land of my birth on a 3+ year sojourn, but that's another story.
I have all my life really been around railways either as a passenger, a worker or as an admirer of the effectiveness and comparative simplicity of railways and their enormous social, political and economic impact.
Obviously it was the railways that opened up the Americas and most the other continents, they penetrated Africa, mobilied much of Asia and indeed all of the world by the mass transportation of people and things they made possible.
I would sit at the back of the train applying the hand brake iron wheel (like a sort of anchor you might say), screwing the brake so hard the steel wheels beneath me would look like Catherine Wheels issuing sparks and smoke as thousands of tons slithered down, iron ore and coal trains descending the treacherous Lickey Bank - the steepest incline on the national rail system.
Later I trained to be a signalman and I had my own signal box, playing trains for real for a while before my life took a different direction and I left the land of my birth on a 3+ year sojourn, but that's another story.
I have all my life really been around railways either as a passenger, a worker or as an admirer of the effectiveness and comparative simplicity of railways and their enormous social, political and economic impact.
Obviously it was the railways that opened up the Americas and most the other continents, they penetrated Africa, mobilied much of Asia and indeed all of the world by the mass transportation of people and things they made possible.
To me the locomotives and the rolling stock in this video are not only a great engineering and scientific achievement, they are aesthetically pleasing too, works of art in themselves in fact.
The teak wood carriages of the full LNER rake on the Severn Valley Railway seen in the video are like travelling polished cabinets of people from all walks of life, hence the first, second and third class compartments, the English class system on wheels... all going together to the same destination. Those coaches were built over a 20 year period from 1923 to the last in 1943 by expert coachbuilders, craftsmen and they are to me as impressive as any fine piece of furniture, we won't see the like of those vehicles again.
The teak wood carriages of the full LNER rake on the Severn Valley Railway seen in the video are like travelling polished cabinets of people from all walks of life, hence the first, second and third class compartments, the English class system on wheels... all going together to the same destination. Those coaches were built over a 20 year period from 1923 to the last in 1943 by expert coachbuilders, craftsmen and they are to me as impressive as any fine piece of furniture, we won't see the like of those vehicles again.
The locomotives themselves hold a sort of alchemical fascination for me, their size and shape and colours sort of overwhelm the senses and often they somehow remind me of fantastical fire breathing beasts. It just seems to be a metaphor that fits them so well, they seem almost 'alive'. It is a mixture of fear and exhileration that they inspire at close quarters but when they are in full motion hurtling through the countryside they grab our attention from a distance... they are to me a delightful streak of technology that is rhythmically hypnotic and carrying the promise of places new and old like a lure, hundreds of stories being played out, a whole community on the move, poetry in motion to my mind.
I'm afraid this humble little image grab here on my pocket sized Bloggie doesn't include the spectacle of a steam hauled train gliding the silver rails through a pristine landscape, more's the pity.....but what I have tried to capture is the feeling and fascination of the sights, sounds and comings and goings of trains at the SVR gala. These images were captured over a period of about an hour on the platform of Kidderminster SVR station during their Autumn Gala, when they ran trains throughout the night to Bridgnorth at the other end of the line, in that mysterious and distant county of Shropshire.... about 16 miles (26km) away.......There be dragons! Or so I hear anyway.
| The Scottish Caledonian Railway locomotive 828 was built in 1899 seen here at SVR Gala 2012 |
* Explanatory note from Wikipedia:-
The permanent way is the elements of railway lines: generally the pairs of rails typically laid on the sleepers ("ties" in American parlance) embedded in ballast, intended to carry the ordinary trains of a railway. It is described as permanent way because in the earlier days of railway construction, contractors often laid a temporary track to transport spoil and materials about the site; when this work was substantially completed, the temporary track was taken up and the permanent way installed.
What a grand blog. We have a railroad just close enough to us that I can hear it as I am sleeping if the night is quiet. When I used to visit my family I always took the train but the carriages were never so classy as the ones you describe. And yet the experience is much the same. Dying now here.
ReplyDeleteWistful bit about your grandfather.
Thanks for that Benni. I love the sound of North American trains. I'm not so familiar with US railroads but I spent some time listening to the Canadian Pacific endless freight trains clanking wheelbeats in the night, so I think I know what you mean. I love the sound of their horns I used to hear echoing around the Rockies, they sound like wailing blues harps with the beating of the wheels on trains a mile long its a concert in itself. Woody Guthie put words to it... as did Sonny Boy Williamson and Hank Williams I think. If ever you're in British Columbia I can recommend the town of Revelstoke which is a great railroad town with its own Railroad Museum and enough horn blowing and wheel clanking to fill the lonsome mountain sundown with a screeching metal symphony.
DeleteIts a shame that the rail network is so neglected in the US, there would be a way to kick start the economy, a massive railroad building programme. It would be symbolic of America rediscovering itself, but I don't see any new New Deals on the horizon do you?
The carriages on the everyday regular commuter trains around here aren't very classy either by the way.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments Benni :-)
A grand essay indeed, AA! I get a strong sense of the hold that the genesis of "train power" and rolling stock production had in England and Scotland (and so throughout the world!) just from your engaging history of your family. So sad what happened to your mother with your grandfather's demise. So many workers faced accidents along the way to creating the first joined national transportation systems...too many now take it all for granted.
ReplyDeleteI really think you captured the essence of childhood wanderlust in the images of standing up on the fence to see the great passenger trains going by your house imagining a " range of distant mountains and valleys of far off lands of my imagining where fantasies would be played out and bears may well be lurking." I felt the same way myself on brief visits to airports or watching contrails of jets streak across the skies high above my own back year fencing. I used to have an aunt and uncle who lived a few miles from the San Francisco Airport and I remember seeing the planes come so low you could see the gleaming passenger 707-727-747s coming down toward "SFO" so close you could see them flying right over Highway 101..."United Airlines...TWA....Japan Airlines...Air Canada...Air France, et al. I longed to go fly off myself and my first trip in an giant bird of an airplane at seven was an experience I'll never forget. My mom made sure I wore a little suit and tie eve though we sat in the "coach class".
Trains fascinated me as well, but the passenger services were mostly back East and in the Middle West. For better or worse, the car and the jets were the kings of travel as I grew up around San Jose and San Francisco.
To cite one anecdote: trains were so important in the joining together of the United States that work on surveying and preparing The Transcontinental Railroad went on even during the Civil War. A century later the trains fell into decline but one can hope plans for high speed train service in Florida and California will some day bear fruit, but I won't hold my breath.
Thanks for sharing the video of those beautiful old passenger cars in Kidderminster Station, AA. Those are the masterpieces on rails of a bygone but thankfully not forgotten era.
Thanks again AA.
Watching aircraft is another engaging pursuit I think isn't it Doug?
DeleteI remember once waiting for a bus near Heath Row airport and being amazed by the endless landings just a few minutes apart almost constantly planes from all around the world.
I can identify with the fascination for those big airliners from places far and wide or going to exotic destinations in one place or another. I have arrived at SFO myself and I have driven on Highway 101 so I'm right there with you here Doug
You were an 'early adopter' of air travel at the age of 7 I didn't fly until I was 24, my first flight was to Saudi Arabia ....I was penniless going for work I had to borrow a tenner from a guy across the aisle who I eavesdropped on telling somebody he was going to work for the same firm as me , so I introduced myself somewhere over Greece and immediately asked for a loan.... which this generous spirited fellow guest labourer kindly agreed to without a quibble. I was going to be a land surveyor at the time but actually my skills learned as a teenage beggar in Summer season UK coastal resorts stood me in good stead on that occasion I think. Better than studying civil engineering at university as my newly found fellow surveyor colleague had at that time, all those years ago on a Austrian Airways Airbus....I was solvent before we reached Lebanon which is always a good sign I think.
That is an interesting observation you cite about trains being so important that even the first mechanised mass slaughter had to take a brief interval to allow the iron horse to make its inexorable push into modernism and the joint stock company. If killings stops being economically advantageous to the rich and powerful wars would simply have to stop. The Transcontinental Railroad was bigger than any political cause or social movement could be allowed to impede by anyone wahtsoever. I do hope both Florida and California do get improved rail links high speed intercity and commuter trains...what else can hold the country together even as the power devolves to the urban revolutionaries....Rebuilding the infrastructure would do wonders for the economy and give people lots of nice things to look at, travel on and become interested in. Perfect!
Thanks for developing the theme Doug all public transport (here) and public transportation in America indeed all public transportation everywhere is a joy to behold. I put a blog of a film by Cosmo Jarvis on here a little while ago, it captures the spirit of public transport veneration I think Doug.
http://aaranaardvak.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/begging-for-dayrider-by-cosmo-jarvis.html
Cheers :-)
It's true about planespotting, AA, and the he closer you are to a major airport the better you have it. The little municipal airport in Ashland we have is about a quarter-mile from me and I sometimes get to see light aircraft landing. There's an old old Soviet-era Russian MIG parked near a hangar--I been meaning to get a picture and post it. I assume some private collector brought it at a yard sale in Vilnius and flew it to Oregon! Either that or some old-line USSR hangers-on have themselves a mini-airbase hiding in plain sight right here in Pine Cone Country. If so, it's darn sneaky of them pesky Russkies if you ask me.
DeleteGlad you know something first-hand of Highway 101 and the area I speak about. Walking around "SFO" was the closest I got as a kid to seeing what the United Nations looked like. So many people. I remember seeing all the soldiers and airmen (likely fresh from Vietnam) sleeping in chairs in the terminals, waiting for their connections either to the Far East or back home. It amazed me that soldiers could sleep so soundly like that in the middle of the day. Now, knowing a bit more about PTSD and jetlag, I'm not surprised at all.
Interesting story about your trip to Saudi Arabia and borrowing the tenner. Your intrepid adventure (sans degree in engineering) reminds me of a Graham Greene or John LaCarre novel. I surprised MI5 didn't try and recruit you in the those old colonial stomping grounds, but maybe that only happens to English "gents" in novels.
Yes, what I know of the whole history of the Transcontinental Railroad is far from comprehensive, but it is an amazing story, one worth a coming blog I think.
There is a lot to be said for your theory about the point of war to begin with. That great and horrible war was actually a sideshow to certain railroad capitalists in San Francisco and Ohama, Nebraska. A few men who had made fortunes in silver and banking saw the future of the USA not as a reunion between an industrial North and a slow-recovering, backward South after a long (and profitable for many) Civil War. They turned their sites to the horizons and went in for the Next Big Thing--a nation reaching from coast to coast, with government bonds and military forts building a commercial engine that would someday rival Britain.
One generation after the "Golden Spike" was driven in 1869 and the continent was united (and the native Americans driven away) the islands of Hawaii were annexed by President William McKinley in 1898 as part of the burgeoning Empire. Yankee Imperialism was reborn as a venture abroad.
Thanks for reminding me of the Cosmo Jarvis film. I enjoyed the second viewing as much as the first.
best wishes,
doug
Thanks for your memories of SFO back then Doug. I can imagine the scene you describe, full-scale mobilisation has not happened here in my lifetime, but I have a vision of the flow of uniformed men at every port confirmed in your report here.
DeleteIts good to hear that Oregon has its own MIG, could come in handy when Portland declares independence, unless of course you have uncovered a secret Cuban airbase that has set up unbeknownst to the Pentagon....stranger things have happend Doug, but not much I'd agree!
Unhappily... I was never approached by MI5 or MI6 during my wanderings in the Middle East, I think you need a 3rd class degree in classics from Oxbridge for that to happen, so as a jobbing surveyor I had no chance of a James Bond lifestyle.
I wouldn't have minded a rocket firing Jensen Interceptor at the time, but had to make do a Datsun Cherry instead, a model well known for its complete lack of missiles and a rather spartan interior I'm afraid Doug.... but hey ho, that's the class system for you.
I have these theories about what you call 'American Revolutionary War' and what we call 'American War of Independence' Doug, that it was primarily a bankers war which had next to nothing to do with a tax on tea but everything to do with eventual establishment of First Bank of the United States in 1791. The British 1764 Currency Act unleashed the American Revolutionary War which pitted the Colonists with the support of France, Spain and the Netherlands against the recently established United Kingdom of Great Britain (1707) and British business interests in the west and in the east too...in India where a simultaneous uprising began in Mysore which caused the still expanding empire to wobble momentarilly at least.
Given the continued relationship between the US and the UK ever since, the use of the English language, the fate of King George's German allies and the impacts on France, Spain and the Low Countries, the War of Independence seems to have ended in a 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' type of accommodation and thereon in.... business as usual across the English speaking world.
It was the birth of outsourcing, privatisation, global banking and the ascendancy of the transnational Anglosphere. The Age of the Privateer and of Pirate Capital was born as the conflagration which was a forerunner of the petro dollar and the 'special relationship' enriched the entrepreneurs who founded the industrial military complex in the guise of "democracy".
I suspect if any fellow could have handled a Jensen Interceptor with aplomb and care, it would have been our genial blogging host, AA. :-)
DeleteHow coincidental is it that my first car was a little four-cylinder job known as a 1972 Datsun 1200, probably a lot like your Cherry. It too had no attack capacity but it was easy on fuel and you could park it in an envelope.
You have some interesting takes here on the "special relationship as always, AA. It really is intriguing to read about what was happening in Britain itself just before the American War of Independence. Barbara Tuchman does a good job of it in her book, "The March of Folly" as well as other books that touch on "The Empire" What is clear to me is that after The War of 1812 was settled (and any mad dreams of Washington taking parts of Canada went with it) and the Monroe Doctrine was endorsed by Westminster in 1823, the big wheels in the economy of our two nations resumed the mutual back-scratching that had continued after the Jay Treaty of the 1790's. Just in time for the Industrial Revolution and transnational business to grow mighty and unrelenting. :-)
Thanks again AA. It's always a fresh way of seeing things to tune in to Total Truth.
I can't get the image of your poor mutilated grandfather out of my head. I think I must have a very morbid streak in me, if I read about the great wonders of .........well anything really; Any thing from one one Brunels great engineering achievements to the building of the pyramids to the hauling of great megalithic stones to places of pre-history, or the building of the Panama canal or the great Hoover Dam..............or any of a million other great achievement of mankind, I just seem to dwell on the enormous human cost that is somehow forgotten. I know this is totally of topic, but railways are just another example of how much we as a race can and have achieved, and the ones who pay the greatest cost, are always forgotten.
ReplyDeleteSorry..............like I said, off topic, but something I always think.
Its just one of those artistic things innit Loretta? Isn't that why you can't get images out of your head, I suspect so.
DeleteYou are right to think of the cost of these engineering feats too.
When I was a train guard we used to take coal trains down this beautiful picturesque single line that drops down over a viaduct into the Ironbridge Gorge and across the River Severn to a power station in Shropshire.
On the way there was a small bridge and near ground level roughly carved by someone in the stone piller was a memorial to a man who was killed while building it in the 1850s.
I don't think industrial accidents are too far off topic really Loretta given the fate of my poor ancestor and all that.
Thanks for your comments Loretta ;-)
I really like the idea of a personal carved tribute to some unknown who died, there should be more of these.
DeletePerhaps another example of how the 'ancestors' did things a bit better than us is their acknowledgement of sacrifice for the community. . This tribute was relatively recent but I can visualise how the ancient ancestors would remember those who lost their lives for the tribe; maybe in the hunt, or by crossing a great river, or even building the henge or barrows. I like to think these people were remembered by the tribe in oral history and stories. A fanciful idea I know, but its a comforting thought. Makes a lot more sense to me than the hundreds of unknown workers who died more recently.
I agree with that Loretta, but on this occasion it was the name of the man who was killed carved there by a workmate or a friend, whoever it was it is more graffiti than an official tribute. It is a touching commemoration of one of the otherwise anonymous victims of industrial accidents who is remembered, his details preserved in the fabric of the structure he died building during the Industrial Revolution A little bit of industrial archaeology and not very far upstream from the world's first ever cast iron bridge opened on New Year's Day 1781.
Delete