Total Truth Radio

Magic

6 Jul 2013

Edward Snowden:- The Anglospheric Emperor's New Clothes

http://www.dannyhellman.com/imgs/FHM-world-of-espionage-lg.jpg
 Picture by Danny Hellman  www.dannyhellman.com 

The story of Edward Snowden has shown that the world is no longer the unipolar place, compliant with the dictats of Washington or it's surrogates, that it was in the immediate post Cold War period.
What is emerging in the early twenty first century are complex interplays between big and small players on the world stage. The English language media, certainly in Britain, would like to give the impression that America and its allies are extremely powerful and determine the relations the Anglospheric Empire has with the rest of the world. America is portrayed as the global enforcer of the collective will of the English speaking world, the unquestioning compliance of Britain (and now second team player France too) with US led NATO policies as reported in the popular media, which often attempts to paint the world in very simple terms indeed.

We should I think therefore delve a little more deeply into the offers of political asylum Mr Snowden has had so far from two countries, Nicaragua and Venezuela and what this really means in geopolitical terms on the broader canvas.

Obviously the whole Snowden saga from the time he disclosed the obsessive spying carried out by the US National Security Agency (NSA) on behalf of the mega-paranoid Washington regime, who have it seems correctly come to the view that everybody really is against them.... and as a consequence has gone stark staring mad on Capitol Hill and in Dr Strangelove-style at the Pentagon too.
The Obama regime is palucidly unhinged, but no more so than the Bush regime before it, or during the Clinton years before that.... because since the assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy the lunatics have completely taken over the Washington corporate asylum.

They are still in charge, but now with a network of moles and patsies in governments and the corporate media giants all around the world whose job it is to redefine insanity and to make it appear rational.
Things have become much worse since the 9/11 Wall Street coup and so by comparison with Barack Obama, Richard Nixon now seems a paragon of propriety and a man of scrupulously high principles.

So it's not going all that well actually, the old world domination game. There is of course a very high cost to having madmen in charge as history repeatedly demonstrates, having a succession of psychopathic emperors has only compounded the problem for the Anglospheric Empire and its NATO satelite statelets.



Mr Snowden has publically revealed what many of us already knew about the complicity of politicians and various organs of state to damage the welfare of the populations, for the benefit of the corporations for whom they work. Mr Snowden himself is an example of privatisation and outsourcing that typifies that virtual empire I have come to call Greater Bilderbergia, which is just another name for the corporate Anglospheric Empire/NATO... or Disneyland meets Psycho as I tend to think of it. 

Snowden's flight has demonstrated that neither China nor Russia are sensitive to Washington's embarrassment, whereas France, Spain, Italy and Portugal are servile US vassal states, as is Austria whose historical record for backing fascist regimes is legendary. All of these are European countries that were complicit this week in air-piracy after kidnapping Bolivian president Evo Morales in Vienna for hours.
During a cringe-makingly unsuccessful bid to outwit Mr Snowden and his supporters in what became a hilarious rerun of GCHQ's very own Keystone Cops

Vienna Police Help CIA look for Edward Snowden


Two Bolivarian Alliance countries in Latin America are suggesting ways of rescuing Mr Snowden from the hands of the empire's secret police. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro made a promise during a speech marking the anniversary of Venezuela's independence on 5 July.

He said:

"As head of state, the government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela decided to offer humanitarian asylum to the young American Edward Snowden so that he can live (without) ... persecution from the empire.

President Maduro went on to say:-

"In the name of America's dignity .... I have decided to offer humanitarian asylum to Edward Snowden."

Nicaragua's President Daniel Ortega also expressed sympathy for the former intelligence contractor who exposed top secret NSA surveillance programs in early June.

"We are open, respectful of the right to asylum, and it is clear that if circumstances permit it, we would receive Snowden with pleasure and give him asylum here in Nicaragua," Mr Ortega said, according to reports circulated by French news agency Agence France-Press.

Both of these potential sanctuaries for Mr Snowden are ALBA countries [Alianza Bolivariana para los Pueblos de Nuestra América- ALBA] and part of the Bolivarian Alliance which is a significant counterweight to US influence in central and south America.  The membership of ALBA is growing.

Wikipedia helpfully indicates that - The member nations are Antigua and Barbuda, Bolivia, Cuba, Dominica, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Venezuela. At the February 2012 summit, Suriname and Saint Lucia were admitted to ALBA as guest countries.

This is an extract from the Encyclopaedia Brittanica entry on ALBA:-

"ALBA’s main goals are to alleviate poverty and to promote socioeconomic reform through trade agreements that meet each country’s needs, rather than through the neoliberal, or free-market, economic policies that dominated the region’s economic planning and growth strategies in the 1990s. To that end, the ALBA Bank, a regional bank with its headquarters in Caracas —the Venezuelan national capital—was created in 2008 to channel money to development projects throughout the region. Moreover, in 2009 the leaders of ALBA agreed to create a regional electronic currency, the sucre, to reduce the use of the U.S. dollar among ALBA countries. Other, longer-term plans have included the implementation of regional literacy and health care programs, the creation of an arbitration court, and the establishment of a united military force of ALBA members"



The growth and success of ALBA is in no short measure a lasting legacy to the late Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez. It represents a new economic and political power bloc with Venezuela at the centre.

The proven oil reserves in Venezuela are claimed to be the largest in the world, according to an announcement in early 2011 by president Chavez and the Venezuelan government. According to the Wikipedia entry the reported proven reserves reach 297 billion barrels (4.72×1010 m3), surpassing that of the previous long-term world leader, Saudi Arabia.[1]
OPEC said that Saudi Arabia's reserves stood at 265 billion barrels (4.21×1010 m3) in 2009.

We are not talking about banana republics here we are talking about an alternative economic model to the gangsterism of the neo-liberalism and corporate power backed by the nazi-like aggressiveness of Global Nato and the Washington regime.

This is a force for good in the world and an economic model that is especially attractive to those countries where neoliberal 'austerity' programmes have been given full reign to ride roughshod over the rights of the people. The UK is one very good example, the US is another....but most English Speaking Anglosphere countries are subject to these disasterous social and economic policies in remarkably similar restructuring. In a world of globalised virtual empires nationalism is more or less meaningless, ideology is far more important and ALBA shows a way out of the insanity our leaders have unleashed upon us, especially over the past decade or so since the 9/11 bankster putsch.
I wish Edward Snowden a long and happy life in whichever country he takes shelter from international terrorism and gangster politics he has held up to public scrutiny and I give him a firm thumbs up to carry on leaking secrets - just because he can - for many years to come. We all look forward to hearing a lot more about the twisted machinations of those elected to serve us and their corporate sponsors too.

STOP PRESS (Saturday 6 July 19.30 GMT) Mr Snowden is spoiled for choice as third asylum offer comes in from Bolivia..... According to Reuters:-

'Bolivian President Evo Morales had said earlier this week that he would consider granting asylum to Snowden. But he took a harder line on Saturday, angered that some European countries banned his plane from their airspace this week on suspicion it carried Snowden.
"I want to tell ... the Europeans and Americans that last night I was thinking that as a fair protest, I want to say that now in fact we are going to give asylum to that American who is being persecuted by his fellow Americans," Morales said during a visit to the town of Chipaya.
"If we receive a legal request, we will grant asylum," he said.'
'Bolivia's Foreign Ministry was not immediately available to comment on whether a formal asylum request had been received.'

All supporters of Edward Snowden should demonstrate their support for the Bolivarian Revolution and Alba countries as a counterweight to the ongoing propaganda offensive and the state sponsored conspiracy theories in the mainstream media.

Stay tuned to Total Truth Radio for further updates.

8 comments:

  1. I have to say the most disturbing thing to me about the Snowden Affair, AA, is realizing how much of the leviathan National Security Apparatus, post 9/11/2001, has been leased out to corporate entities. Mr. Snowden, reportedly an ardent right-winger of the libertarian mode, was working for an out called Boze Hamilton. The 30 year old high school drop-out was working in a $122,000 per year job as a computer "techie", and living in an upscale neighborhood at their HQ in Honolulu!
    Not a bad gig in this economy--especially for a guy who's previous job was as a security guard in one of the high-tech Washington/Northern Virginia spy centers.

    I can't say I feel too sorry for Snowden, who seems to have fled for "freedom" toward unlikely venues like Hong Kong (a subsidiary of Beijing, LTD, a nation known for a lot of cyber warfare. How much info he dropped there I'm not sure, nor do I know how much he unloaded in Moscow, but I suspect he will not go down in history here at least as a true whistle-blower the way Daniel Ellsberg has because of his actions during the Vietnam, War AKA Pentagon Papers Affair. Ellsberg stood his ground like the tough Marine he was and told truth to power. Snowden is indicative of the newer breed who seek a book contract and a the safety of foreign climes before getting all blabby about his commitment to freedom (and no doubt his willingness to swap secrets for security.)
    Snowden according to some reports, is an idealist, a right-wing libertarian who apparently had no problem when Team Bush was gathering info on all and sundry citizens (info known to all who read the NY Times and USA Today back in 2006), but went all crackers when Obama carried on the program. Such is politics in the USA and probably only concerns thoseof us keeping score in Freedom's Land, but there is something about a black gut in the White House that makes people see things in a different light.

    The idea of a Ron Paul rightist-libertarian like "Big Eddie" finding a home in a Bolivarian -run republic somewhere is a irony, deserving of a happy ending I suppose.
    The security damage, what there is of it I can't tell, has been done and I'm sure the sloppy yet all-consuming nature of the US Security State is such that the boys and girl tech geeks and ex-CIA spooks who run it are deserving of just such an comeuppance. The Keystone Cops is a wonderful visual metaphor that I'm sure Mack Sennett himself--the man who brought Charlie Chaplin to the screen--would appreciate. If there is a Hollywood Heaven, old Mack would probably enjoy seeing the NSA/CIA getting their corporate felt top hats knocked off.

    Snowden's contribution will go down in history as restarting a much -needed debate on the national security system. No doubt the world power centers are shifting away from where they were a short time ago and one hopes the world can get along with a lot less of US-UK dominion. I for one welcome the USA becoming one nation among many and allowing the other peoples of the western hemisphere all the self-driven destiny they can stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, I meant to say "something about a black GUY in the White House..." in that third paragraph.

      AA, thanks for the interesting essay, AA, and bringing (for me ) a fresh background to the story.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that comprehensive response Doug you raise some interesting points about Edward Snowden who is reported as saying "I'm neither traitor nor hero. I'm an American." [South China Morning Post (Hong Kong). June 28, 2013].
      It is clear from what you have said here and in the past that Edward Snowden is a different sort of "American" to you yourself Doug.
      Fair enough we all live in pluralistic societies (except perhaps in North Korea) but I am coming at this from another angle, from a non-American point of view and from where I am situated Snowden's domestic politics pale against the magnitude of what he has done for us all out here in the far-flung colonies of the tottering global unipolar 'superpower'.

      As an outsider I am more concerned about how US government policies affect me directly, because in common with a large segment of the world's population, (perhaps indeed pretty well ALL of the word's population) are directly or indirectly affected by US foreign policies.
      This is not true of let us say Belgium or Mozambique's foreign policies because the global reach of the US government means that we out here in the NATO hinterlands suffer taxation (e.g. GCHQ or Menwith Hill spy bases) without any representation in Washington DC whatsoever. So from that perspective Snowden serves us, the colonial victims of neo-imperialism and police state surveillance by the NSA, CIA, MI5 or whatever they happen to be calling themselves today and has helped put us more 'in the picture' of just what these snoopers are up to at our expense in every meaning of that term.

      To me then Edward Snowden is our very own Paul Revere now that the empire's interference and global ambition has made us all "Sons (and daughters) of Liberty" nowadays....that is liberty from Washington and its propped up but wobbly puppet regimes and the limping NATO poodles.

      Oh heck, I'm in danger of running out or space here so I'll continue below Doug.....Blogger is limited in comment space unfortunately.

      Delete
    3. Part 2

      So I think circumstances are such that we have completely different perspectives on this matter Doug, but I am also aware that the details of Edward Snowden's politics are disputed.
      He has apparently said that in the 2008 presidential election he voted for third-party candidates, which of course could mean anything.
      He has claimed he had been planning to make disclosures about NSA surveillance programs at the time, but he decided to wait because he "believed in Obama's promises."
      He was he claims, later disappointed that Obama "continued with the policies of his predecessor. Join the club Ed.

      It was only in the 2012 election, that allegedly political donation records indicate that he contributed to the primary campaign of Ron Paul, a politician I have never agreed with myself, but from a colonial perspective like mine and in purely foreign policy terms, a Paul victory would have given respite from Obama's unprecedented warlikeness and his new levels of economic, political and military aggression.
      I have attacked Paul for his right-leaning racist and frankly 'hick' views and extremist 'manifest destiny' agenda, with the citizenry armed to the teeth while the state fades away in the background to allow gays, hispanics, blacks and abortionists to become targets of the NSA shootists and Tea Party lynch mobs.

      But having said all that a dose of American isolationism would be a great relief to the entire planet I think.
      Obviously whatever we think we "know" about Snowden, all that is in the public domain is likely to have been seriously distorted by disinformation, so not wishing to build a personality cult around this global Paul Revere character warning of the approach of Obama's detested 'redcoats' he has revealed some of the secret machinations of the global SS and its vast spy network of snooping busybodies and generally nosey bastards .
      For me the ideological implications are far more important for the global resistance coalition than is the details of Snowden's life.
      There is a part of me that doesn't believe anything we are told about him, where he is or about what he has allegedly done.
      But for the present I am prepared to look at the situation strategically and mark it as a notch on the slippery slope that is always collapsing to the endpoint of every transient empire in the history of the world. America is no different.

      I do think there are paralells however with Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers so perhaps one day Mr Snowden too will be awarded the Gandhi Peace Award for "contributions made in the promotion of international peace and good will."

      For now however he is 'The Fugitive' another infotainment soap opera cliffhanger sequel to the 'Man From UNCLE' currently cast as 'The Man From THRUSH' on the run from the NSA posse ....and the vast majority of humanity is I believe rooting for him and urging him to escape to safety before the lawmen show up.

      That's the ending I think most of the world really wants to see with the subplot of egg all over Obama's face and a serious dent to John Kerry's ego.

      To me Edward Snowden is a prized icon of global schadenfreude and a propaganda gift to anti-hegemonic forces everywhere, gawd bless 'is soul I say!

      Delete
    4. Yes, AA, Snowden is actually a popular fellow even in the USA, where The Wall Street Journal--not exactly an "anarchist broadsheet" to quote your delightful phrase--had a poll where 57 percent of Yanks viewed him favorably. I suppose I would too if I knew just how much cyber-spying that nations like China and Iran conducts against The West.

      But I see your point too I think, AA: This whole damn thing could well be just an excuse to spend billions on a "cyber-attack" that is not even credible. It could well be as some have suggested that the NSA and its corporate spin-offs are just drumming up a make-believe threat. It's rather confusing to a non-techie like myself. One almost pines for the days where at least you knew the THRUSH was up to no good---just by the way that Man from UNCLE guest stars like Vincent Price or George Sanders or Rip Torn just did bad deeds in the opening scenes.

      Well, since I cannot begin to tell what the threat is from other countries I cannot in good conscience cast doubt on your opinions. All I can say with all confidence is that a lot of John LaCarre type thriller writers will get plenty of mileage out of all this.

      Delete
    5. Well as you know Doug I think spying on people like you and me is just beyond the pale. I really don't know how much cyber spying goes on between Iran, China and the West, but I am fairly confident that they aren't reading my blogs, listening to my pizza order or selling my 'details' to whoever wants them at the right price. I'm not sure where the West begins or ends but what I do worry about is that the West might be spying on me, because that would be just plain dumb. I mean Doug, why should I have to always acknowledge the espionage studies graduate every time I send a message, but somehow it seems rude to leave them out now. What a dilemma....its not exactly the Enigma Code though is it, commercial snooping I mean. This is the X-Box generation of "boffins" without any firm boundaries between fantasy and their personal realities, so GCHQ isn't Bletchley Park by any stretch I don't think. In time it will become known as the PRISM SCHISM as we debate within ourselves whether to send our personal data handlers Christmas cards or not. Its not like we don't pay for them to sell us out to the highest bidder or anything like that, but at least we are never alone anymore.... mind you Doug, that was true when tape worm was endemic too I suppose.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Aaron, and Doug, I've read and read on this and find myself dithering somewhere in the middle when trying to come to any some sort of real conclusion.........Too many unanswered questions here. I can't help being very, very happy that someone has actually shouted ...'hey world your every innocent email and entry into every social networking site is recorded, stored and analyzed'. It's easy for us to say oh yeah, yesterdays news but it really did come as a surprise many ordinary people, and regardless of Snowdens intent or reasons, I like the idea that lots of ordinary people are now aware of the intrusion into their online lives in ways that they never previously envisaged. Also like the way Those who spend their lives spying on the rest of us now feel obligated to justify their actions. The more whistle blowers the better I say.
    But I’ve no idea what his real intent was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loretta.
      I think there are always going to be unanswered questions about this affair and what is really happening with Mr Snowden.

      However we can put together certain bits of it and get the picture of the sheer amount of domestic spying that goes on in this country on behalf of the United States.... which means we now live in a totalitarian police state where spooks and politicos want to know our every thought and move.

      Personally I say screw them all. I don't care what they think they "know" about me, I just don't like paying for it so some rubber necking bonehead from Langley Virginia can have access my emails and private communications paid for on my taxes.
      I am reassured by the strongly held belief that they are probably too dumb to understand them anyway.

      Sieg Heil, God Save the Queen and God Bless Amerika...you have to be a bit consistent in this world of flux I think, but if any of it is the truth is for us to know and them to guess lol.

      Let's all get ourselves a whistle and do a bit of blowing, it sounds like a lotta fun to me.

      Delete