It seems reasonable on this Valentine's Day to spread a little love. I have decided the best way to do that is to tell the truth. The truth is that love is the motor of existence. I was just wondering about all that when I watched the Real News.... which is what it says on the can. It is the antidote to the BBC which of course is a corporate mouthpeice for UK Plc, with warm and middle brow cultural bits added in to make us all feel cared for and comfy.
Real News tells a different tale of what people think in England. The BBC, or Auntie as she became affectionately known, will talk to people from the peace movement of course I would never suggest otherwise, but what they say would be carefully edited, no nasty shocks for Auntie gawd bless 'er soul.....Well, not until it was revealed last year that Bush House, Auntie' trusty London redoubt had not only been the home of the notorious Room 101. but had also been a paedophile knocking shop for decades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_101
That put the cat amongst the pigeons good and proper!
Real News tells a different tale of what people think in England. The BBC, or Auntie as she became affectionately known, will talk to people from the peace movement of course I would never suggest otherwise, but what they say would be carefully edited, no nasty shocks for Auntie gawd bless 'er soul.....Well, not until it was revealed last year that Bush House, Auntie' trusty London redoubt had not only been the home of the notorious Room 101. but had also been a paedophile knocking shop for decades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_101
That put the cat amongst the pigeons good and proper!
But now back on message.... I am posting this insight into England today and what people who don't actually work for the government or the media.... what ordinary people are really saying in this multicultural former colonial power, that is run by and for transnational corporations and their military wing which loosely goes by the name NATO.
So here is a different take on a constituency of opinion that can still put more people on the street than any other cause or movement in the British Isles... bar none!
Happy Valentines Day from the Kingdom of Mercia...let our hearts rule our heads, not the other more calculating way round.
a valentine kiss to my favorite and only aardvark
ReplyDeleteValentine kiss back to you.... if you dare to get that close a 12 inch tongue?
Deletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE5RI8qR1ks
Well you know full well I will get that close to that 12 inch.....tongue ;-) Aww that aardvark was cute :-)
ReplyDeleteBut not as cute as my AA
ReplyDeleteYou are very kind Ms C :-)
DeleteFirst off, I find it amusing that Mr. Orwell choose the "Room 101" as the torture room for "1984" because of all the long and boring office meetings he went to while working at the BBC during his tenure there. If I ever write an anti-utopia novel I will call my interrogation center "The Training Room", the upstairs pit of gloom where all managers, supervisors and line employees where subjected to hours of bad coffee, tactile boredom, existential stress and reaffirmation of our Sisyphus-like powerlessness.
ReplyDeleteWe always managed a few laughs despite all that. Not all the higher-ups were martinets. Just most.
These bureaucratic ramblings concerned chaps like me giving reports that were ignored fifteen minutes after they were presented--- my notes placed in a rat cage to keep the rats from soiling their nests too badly.
Lively topics included at these mandatory confabs included "Achieving higher training percentages to meet fourth quarter sales goals ", "Meeting customer expectations" (in the face of layoffs and salary cuts not to be mentioned) and, my favorite" "Sowing the seeds of a positive culture in the new workplace". "New workplace" defined as how to make more money in the worst recession/depression since 1933!
Orwell, thou should be alive at such an hour.
I cannot defend Obama's open-ended assassination policy. Obviously anything like this short of open Civil War has to be undertaken only as a last possible resort and if this present program circumvents the judicial process and the fourth amendment it is bad law at best and a time bomb against civil rights for thousands at worst. I am glad to see the two Senators from my state of Oregon raising objections to this in public and private. Time will tell if the USA continues along this road to potential perdition.
Thanks for giving us an off-BBC view of what is going on in the UK, AA.
ReplyDeleteGeorge Orwell I'm sure had plenty of reasons to doubt the motives of the BBC, but his main grievance seems to have been that they employed him. This obviously connects with your own sufferings at the hands of 'trainers' for which I send my heartfelt sympathies, having endured that fate myself.
ReplyDeleteTraining should be against the Geneva Convention and would no doubt be consigned to Room 101 itself, now in its current guise as a light entertainment offering from the BBC TV's eponymously named programme.
I have always taken the view that training is for dogs and other species pressed into the service of mankind, education is what we humans do, not just learning 'how' to do something, but also 'why' we do it in the first place and 'what' could be better?
Sounds reasonable to me anyway, thanks for reminding me of the agony of being patronised by someone at least half the room 'respects' ... it doesn't come much more 'cruel and unusual' than that in my book Doug.
Training usually assumes everyone is equal and everyone absolutely knows nothing of any importance whatsoever.
We miserable wretches are merely empty cups held out in the hope of catching a snifter of the Ambosia.... from which the trainers wisdom is pellucidly distilled.
I have to admit to tweaking the hindparts of the occasional trainer in the past, but nowadays I tend to just let them witter on most of the time. At least we now have something in common those trainers and me Doug...thanks for your comments.
You wrote: "I have always taken the view that training is for dogs and other species pressed into the service of mankind, education is what we humans do, not just learning 'how' to do something, but also 'why' we do it in the first place and 'what' could be better?"
ReplyDeleteI heartily concur, AA. Answering the "why?" question, posed or left hanging in the air, is one of the hallmarks separating the wise educator from some boob reading off a prepared list.
LOL "some boob reading off a prepared list." ...I think we all have met one or two of them along the way Doug :-)
ReplyDelete