Wednesday, August 22, 2012 11:42:09 AM
The social psychology of virtual mass execution and cyber genocide.
I
have this vision of this lovely organic internet place where we can
all roam freely .....its like a digital concept of heaven that has grown
out of being condemned to cyber death. The grief of a community torn
assunder by forces beyond their control. It is an interesting
sociological and psychological experiment and it suffers from the
classic problems of social science too, in that the subject is analysing
the situation in such a way that both the observer and the observed are
subtlely altering the environment in an unstated relationship, an
uncontrolled and often unacknowledged set of variables that killed off
positivism and makes all social research contingent and situational.
I
have become fascinated by the scramble of Multiply social networkers
and bloggers to find a new home in the blogosphere when the platform
upon which they have created a personal space in which they formed close
relationships is scheduled to collapse. I refer to these condemned
souls in the third person but of course I too am one of their number, my
little project is threatened with obliteration and our community is to
be broken up.
I have tasted all sorts of flavours from this approaching
doom and symbolic connections to every society that has faced this in
the past. I am currently reading a fascinating book called 'Radical
Hope' subtitled 'Ethics in the Face of Cultural Devastaion' by Jonathan
Lear. It is about the cultural genocide of the Crow Nation as told
originally by Chief Plenty Coups (otherwise known as Aleek-chea-ahoosh 1848 – 1932) as told to Frank B Linderman who the chief trusted to be
his 'sign-talker' a few years before his death in 1932 at the age of 84.
I have only just started the book, but I can see a symbolic connection
between the fate of the Crow Indians (they are reported to prefer to be
called Indians rather than any more politically correct designation) and the condemned captives of disappearing Multiply.
At
this point people may well say, 'isn't it a bit trite to compare the
cultural destruction of a once proud and independent nation with the
plight of a bunch of displaced bloggers, unhappy that their virtual
world is about to be lost? The answer to that is obviously 'yes' on the
face of it, it is.....but what interests me is the existential
connections rather than any direct comparison between these events. It
is the sense of loss that makes Muliply the disappearing buffalo of this corner of cyberspace.
I
am also reminded in some of my correspondence of communicating with
someone on virtual death row, the end date set, the appeal underway, the
hope of a 'basket' to put all our 'eggs' into in the future, the
putting our houses in order, the feeling of the innevitable closing in,
the sound of the hammering as the scaffold takes shape outside.
All
the ingredients seem to be there, the loss, the grief, the anger, the
hope against hope, all there in symbolic digital form of helplessness,
hopelessness and despair.
Of course I exaggerate, this is only a
virtual community of strangers spread right across the world who were
initially only united by the ability to communicate in written English.
But I think most Multiply users I know feel that it is rather more than
that, that their friends and contacts are much more than just keystrokes
on our screens, but real gendered and connected people, a sort of
digital family in which all sorts of emotions and feelings (both stated
and implicit) determine the relationships in much the same way as other
types of social relations can and do.
I think the demise of Multiply is
teaching us much about the meaning of online communities and human
interaction in new and previously inpossible ways which give meaning to
abstract notions like globalism and virtual reality and a new realm of
remote intimacy that has more to do with spirituality than it does the
concrete relations of material existence.
We do indeed exist in
"interesting times" charting them is part of what I see my role as a
blogger is and always has been, we are all at peril upon the raging sea
where the threat of sinking to the bottom of the Information Ocean is an
ever-present risk.
This is the best blog I have seen written so far about the demise of Multiply. You know I am going to follow you to the ends of the earth no matter where you go in cyberspace AA. *smiles*
ReplyDeleteI did want to ask where you found that picture of me to post with this blog ? haha
Seriously, I love your page here, the background and all the pictures with each post. Sure beats my plain old blue, but I am not very creative with all of this so it is what it is.
Hugs
C
I am gratful for your comments here Ms MindStorm as we continue to plow ever onwards in the face of all the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Thanks for your generous comments about my pages and for ignoring all the typos on them.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to see you here Ms C, very glad indeed.
Thanks for arriving here :-)
Hugs
AA
How cool, you are speaking to me from the future :-) It is still the 22nd here
ReplyDeleteOH BIG HUGS to you too AA and I am very very happy that you have not disappeared from the screen. I would be lost without you. :-)
ReplyDeleteI think your blog here, AA, really does analyze very cogently the end of a internconnected world, maybe one of the first in human history not bound by distance consdiderations or time constraints. And of course the challenges we all face in trying to deal with the endof Multiply, a vanishing "buffalo"--a source for our community without which our lives, online at least, are dramaticly altered.
ReplyDeleteDoug....your comments on here all went into the Spam folder so I have only just seen them....I have marked your page as "not spam" so I hope that won't happen again, I don't know why it did in the first place. To spesk to you points here albeit belatedly I think the parallels with the deconstruction of the Crow Nation when intertribal warfare was banned by the US government the cultural foundations of this hunting and warring society collapsed. I am making slow progress through Jonathan Lear's book on the Crow partly because it is such rich meat....it introduces a form of non-existence beyond genocide, beyond anything and everything... the bursting of a cultural bubble, the death of an era.
DeleteOne point it did reinforce that any notion that America became a violent place after the arrival of Europeans and others needs to be revised in the context of the perpetual war and horse stealing of the Crow and their neighbours, especially their arch-enemies the Sioux. The intertribal wars it points out were not skirmishes they were desperate struggles for survival in the face of threats of holocaust proportions. It become crystal clear that the Plains Indians at least did not need to wait for the pale faces to show up before the genocide could begin, but in the case of the Crow no war meant no Sun Dance meant no culture, nothing made sense anymore and ironically they were culturally expunged by their allies (the US governemtn) not their enemies the Sioux from the east, the Blackfeet from the north and all their other foes including the Cheyenne, Arapaho and Shoshone tribes - they only wanted to kill them - the whitemen kept them alive but destroyed their cultural meanings, a deeper form of social death.
I wouldn't make the point too strongly with regard to the end of Multiply, but the fact that cultures can be deconstructed like this without being physically wiped out has resonances with the past to me Doug.
That blog sang the same tune as the song "Killing me softly with his words." "Strumming my pain with is fingers." I could type the lyrics of the complete tune but I think that much gets my point across AA. If you ever disappear into the void of cyber space never to be seen again or read again, your words will haunt me as I forever roam the streets of blogster, ipernity, facebook, twitter, or whatever other social networking site I aimlessly wander off to. They showed us the promised land and then slammed the door in our shocked faces. Just think you should know, I'm a stalker and I will find you wherever you go lol. Thanks for this wonderful piece of blogging Aaran. :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks She....I'm sure I have replied on your site but I need to just express my appreciation for your comments here...I haven't gone far as you can see.
DeleteWe are all made to sound quite scholarly in your post which is much nicer than sounding like a bunch of flapping hysterical bloggers facing extinction of our community for the second time even!
ReplyDeleteI think you are a pretty scholarly group of people, if also - like me flapping internet desperados alighting hither and thither in a flap as well. I thought the internet was supposed to make communication easier Iri...what happened?
ReplyDeleteI quite like the idea of 'flapping', maybe if we all flap together, in unison, for long enough, we will alight from the place of doom and land in that much sought after idyllic blog land you so aptly describe.
ReplyDeleteIn some strange way, your thinking is becoming reality, we are all spreading ourselves further afield in an attempt to keep hold of every one, it's an anthropological evolution in communication
And on a lighter note.........thank you, what ever you did it worked and I can comment here now :-))
I was suddenly grabbed by the idea that here we all are from all around the globe leaving messages saying isn't it awful we can't keep Multiply it was so nice....whereas communicating like this say 15 years ago would seem pretty amazing in itself I think, how quickly we adapt to changing environments, how rapidly we organise patterns in the chaos like the busy little beavers we are.
DeleteWhat ever you have done around here it's very impressive, been doing a bit of site reorganizing ? I'm impressed, this must have taken you ages and I have absolutely no idea how to do any of this stuff. You must have had a spare day or so to work it all out.
ReplyDeleteThanks Loretta, I didn't do anything too impressive here really, just played about with various formats and for the time being settled upon this one. I'm glad you like it, thanks for the feedback.
DeleteActually messing about with Blogger and the other site I've got on Opera has taken days and days over the past few weeks.
There are still things I would like to have here though....a guest book on my home page for example would be nice, but this is as good a home as I've been able to alight upon for when the End comes to Multiply.
Amen
ReplyDelete